1. , , , , . Continuous recording of the pulmonary and systemic arterial pressure during sleep in syndromes of hypersomnia with periodic breathing. Bulletin de Physio-Pathologie Respiratoire 1972;8(5):1159–72.
2. , , , et al. Hypersomnia with periodic breathing: periodic apneas and alveolar hypoventilation during sleep. Bulletin de Physio-Pathologie Respiratoire 1972;8(5):1103–13.
3. , , , . Some periodic phenomena arising during drowsiness and sleep in man. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1972;32:701–5.
4. , , , . Involvement of the baroreceptor reflexes in the changes in blood pressure with sleep and mental arousal. Hypertension 1983;5(5):746–8.
5. . Autonomic modulation of the cardiovascular system during sleep. N Engl J Med 1993;328(5):347–9.
6. , , . Sleep embodies maximum and minimum levels of autonomic integration. Clin Auton Res 2001;11:5–10.
7. , , , et al. Regional cerebral blood flow throughout the sleep-wake cycle. An H20 150 PET study. Brain 1997;120:1173–97.
8. , . Changes in the activity of hypothalamic units during sleep at different environmental temperatures. Brain Res 1971;29(2):347–50.
9. , , , . EEG patterns and body temperatures in man during sleep in arctic winter nights. Int J Biometeorol 1976;20(1):61–9.
10. , . Normal human sleep: an overview. In , , , eds. Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, 4th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2005: pp. 13–23.
11. , . Sleep complaints in community-living older persons: a multifactorial geriatric syndrome. J Am Geriatr Soc 2007;55:1853–66.
12. , , , et al. Senescence, sleep and circadian rhythms. Ageing Res Rev 2002;1:559–604.
13. . Normal aging. In , , , eds. Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, 4th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2005: pp. 24–38.
14. , , , . Melatonin and sleep in aging population. Exp Gerontol 2005;40:911–25.
15. . Age-related sympathetic ganglionic neuropathology: human pathology and animal models. Auton Neurosci 2002;96:63–72.
16. . The effect of aging on the autonomic nervous system. In , ed. Clinical Autonomic Disorders, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven Publishers; 1997: pp. 161–75.
17. . Effect of aging on baroreflex function in humans. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2007;293:3–12.
18. , , , . Aging process on spectrally determined spontaneous baroreflex sensitivity: a 5-year prospective study. Hypertension 2007;50:543–6.
19. , , , . Baroreflex buffering is reduced with age in healthy men. Circulation 2003;107:1770–4.
20. , , , . Post-prandial hypotension predicts all-cause mortality in older, low-level care residents. J Am Geriatr Soc 2005;53:1313–20.
21. , , , et al. Consensus statement on the definition of orthostatic hypotension, pure autonomic failure and multiple system atrophy. Clin Autonom Res 1996;6:125–6.
22. , . Orthostatic hypotension in the elderly: diagnosis and treatment. Am J Med 2007;120:841–7.
23. , , , et al. Acarbose, an α-glucosidase inhibitor, attenuates postprandial hypotension in autonomic failure. Hypertension 2007;50:54–61.
24. , , , et al. Circadian profile of cardiac autonomic nervous modulation in healthy subjects: differing effects of aging and gender on heart rate variability. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2003;14:791–9.
25. , . Vagal modulation and aging. Biol Psychol 2007;74:165–73.
26. , , , et al. Influence of age, gender, body mass index and functional capacity on heart rate variability in a cohort of subjects without heart disease. Am J Cardiol 2004;93:381–5.
27. , . Aging and human temperature regulation. J Appl Physiol 2003;95:2598–603.
28. , , , . Age-related thermoregulatory difference during core cooling in humans. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2000;279:R349–54.
29. , , . Attenuation of the cutaneous vasoconstrictor response to cold in elderly men. J Gerontol 1992;47(6):M211–14.
30. , . Aging and the skin blood flow response to the unloading of baroreceptors during heat and cold stress. J Appl Physiol 2004;96:1019–25.
31. , , , et al. Impairment of thermoregulatory control of skin sympathetic nerve traffic in the elderly. Circulation 2003;108:729–35.
32. , , . Cutaneous vasoconstrictor response to norepinephrine are attenuated in older humans. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2005;288:R1108–13.
33. . Thermoregulation and aging. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2007;292:99–102.
34. , . Impaired defense of core temperature in aged humans during mild cold stress. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2007;292:103–8.
35. , . Innervation of the gastrointestinal tract: patterns of aging. Auton Neurosci 2007;136:1–19.
36. . Gastrointestinal diseases in the elderly. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2003;6:41–8.
37. . The aging gut: physiology. Clin Geriatr Med 2007;23:757–67.
38. . The aging bladder. Rev Urol 2004;6(S1):S3–S7.
39. , , , . Age-related changes in urinary bladder intramural neurons. Int J Devl Neurosci 2007;25:141–8.
40. , . Treatment of overactive bladder and incontinence in the elderly. Rev Urol 2002;4(S4):S38–S43.
41. . The aging lower urinary tract. J Urol 2006;175:S11–S15.
42. , , , . The effect of age on lower urinary tract function: a study in women. J Am Geriatr Soc 2006;54:405–12.
43. , , . Changes in sexual function in middle-aged and older men: longitudinal data from the Massachusetts male aging study. J Am Geriatr Soc 2004;52:1502–9.
44. . Sexuality in the elderly. Urol Clin North Am 1996;23(1):99–109.
45. , . Human Sexual Response. Boston: Little Brown; 1966.
46. , , , . Erectile dysfunction. J Urol 2007;177:1675–81.
47. , , , , . Impotence and its medical and psychosocial correlates: results of the Massachusetts Male Aging Study. J Urol 1994;151(1):54–61.
48. . Lower urinary tract symptoms and sexual dysfunction: epidemiology and pathophysiology. BJU 2006;97(S2):23–8.
49. . Aging and the autonomic nervous system. In , ed. The Autonomic Nervous System. Amsterdam, New York, Oxford: Elsevier; 1990: pp. 557–71.