1. , , , et al. Appropriateness of allogeneic red blood cell transfusion: the international consensus conference on transfusion outcomes. Transfus Med Rev 2011;25:232–46.
2. , , . Effects of allogeneic red blood cell transfusions on clinical outcomes in patients undergoing colorectal cancer surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Surg 2012;256:235–44.
3. , , , . What is really dangerous: anaemia or transfusion?Br J Anaesth 2011;107 Suppl 1:i41–i59.
4. , , . Variability in transfusion practice and effectiveness of strategies to improve it. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2012;26:541–4.
5. , , , . Patient blood management – the new frontier. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 2013;27:5–10.
6. , . Patient blood management. Anesthesiology 2012;116:1367–76.
7. . The three-pillar matrix of patient blood management – an overview. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 2013;27:69–84.
8. , , , . [Patient blood management (part 2). Practice: the 3 pillars]. Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 2011;46:466–74.
9. , , , , . Early goal-directed therapy: a UK perspective. Emerg Med J 2006;23:828–32.
10. , . Haemoglobin, oxygen carriers and perioperative organ perfusion. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 2008;22:63–80.
11. , , , et al. The impact of packed red blood cell transfusion on clinical outcomes in patients with septic shock treated with early goal directed therapy. Indian J Crit Care Med 2010;14:165–9.
12. , . The History of Blood Gases, Acids and Bases. Copenhagen: Munksgaard, 1986.
13. , , , , . Microvascular experimental evidence on the relative significance of restoring oxygen carrying capacity vs. blood viscosity in shock resuscitation. Biochim Biophys Acta 2008;1784:1421–7.
14. , , , , . Microhemodynamic aberrations created by transfusion of stored blood. Transfusion 2013.
15. , , , . Properties permitting the renal cortex to be the oxygen sensor for the release of erythropoietin: clinical implications. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2006;1:1049–53.
16. . Regulation of Tissue Oxygenation. San Rafael, CA: Morgan & Claypool Life Sciences, 2011.
17. , , , . Anaemia: can we define haemoglobin thresholds for impaired oxygen homeostasis and suggest new strategies for treatment?Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 2013;27:85–98.
18. , , , , . Pathophysiology of anaemia: focus on the heart and blood vessels. Nephrol Dial Transpl 2000;15 Suppl 3:14–18.
19. , . Allogeneic red blood cell transfusion: physiology of oxygen transport. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 2007;21:163–71.
20. , , , et al. Cerebral adaptations to chronic anemia in a model of erythropoietin-deficient mice exposed to hypoxia. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2009;296:R801–11.
21. , , , et al. Oxygen pressures in the interstitial space and their relationship to those in the blood plasma in resting skeletal muscle. J Appl Physiol 2006;101:1648–56.
22. , , , et al. Reassessing the risk of hemodilutional anemia: some new pieces to an old puzzle. Can J Anaesth 2010;57:779–91.
23. , , , et al. Two-photon high-resolution measurement of partial pressure of oxygen in cerebral vasculature and tissue. Nat Methods 2010;7:755–9.
24. , . Hypoxia-inducible factor prolyl 4-hydroxylases: common and specific roles. Biol Chem 2013;394: 435–48.
25. , . The HIF pathway and erythrocytosis. Annu Rev Pathol 2011;6:165–92.
26. . The critical role of VEGF in skeletal muscle angiogenesis and blood flow. Biochem Soc Trans 2011;39:1556–9.
27. , . Hypoxia-inducible factors and their roles in energy metabolism. Int J Hematol 2012;95:457–63.
28. . Oxygen-dependent regulation of mitochondrial respiration by hypoxia-inducible factor 1. Biochem J 2007;405:1–9.
29. , , , et al. Detection, evaluation, and management of preoperative anaemia in the elective orthopaedic surgical patient: NATA guidelines. Br J Anaesth 2011;106:13–22.
30. , , , , . When blood is not an option: factors affecting survival after the use of a hemoglobin-based oxygen carrier in 54 patients with life-threatening anemia. Anesth Analg 2010;110:685–93.
31. , , , . Time course and etiology of death in patients with severe anemia. Transfusion 2009;49:1395–9.
32. , , . Anemia screening in elective surgery: definition, significance and patients' interests. Anesth Analg 2006;103:778–9.
33. , . The approach to patients with bleeding disorders who do not accept blood-derived products. Semin Thromb Hemost 2013;39:182–90.
34. , , . Bloodless medicine: clinical care without allogeneic blood transfusion. Transfusion 2003;43:668–76.
35. , . Objectives and limitations of bloodless medical care. Curr Opin Hematol 2006;13:462–70.
36. , , . Blood conservation in practice: an overview. Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 2009;70:16–21.
37. . Red cell storage and prognosis. Vox Sang 2011;100:36–45.
38. . A systematic review of the application of hyperbaric oxygen in the treatment of severe anemia: an evidence-based approach. Undersea Hyperb Med 2005;32:61–83.
39. , . Current status of pharmacologic therapies in patient blood management. Anesth Analg 2013;116:15–34.
40. , , , , . Cell-free hemoglobin-based blood substitutes and risk of myocardial infarction and death: a meta-analysis. JAMA 2008;299:2304–12.
41. , . New and future resuscitation fluids for trauma patients using hemoglobin and hypertonic saline. Anesthesiol Clin 2013;31:1–19.
42. , , , et al. Current perspectives on protective roles of erythropoietin in cardiovascular system: erythropoietin receptor as a novel therapeutic target. Tohoku J Exp Med 2012; 227:83–91.
43. , , , , . Estradiol attenuates ischemia-induced death of hippocampal neurons and enhances synaptic transmission in aged, long-term hormone-deprived female rats. PLoS One 2012;7:e38018.
44. , . The effects of estrogen on various organs: therapeutic approach for sepsis, trauma, and reperfusion injury. Part 2: liver, intestine, spleen, and kidney. J Anesth 2012;26:892–9.
45. , . The effects of estrogen on various organs: therapeutic approach for sepsis, trauma, and reperfusion injury. Part 1: central nervous system, lung, and heart. J Anesth 2012;26:883–91.
46. , , , et al. Effects of tranexamic acid on death, vascular occlusive events, and blood transfusion in trauma patients with significant haemorrhage (CRASH-2): a randomised, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2010;376:23–32.
47. , , , et al. Tranexamic acid and trauma: current status and knowledge gaps with recommended research priorities. Shock 2013;39:121–6.
48. , , , , . A new perspective on best transfusion practices. Blood Transfus 2013;11:193–202.
49. , . Strategies to reduce the use of blood products: a US perspective. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 2012;25:50–8.
50. , , , et al. A multicenter, randomized, controlled clinical trial of transfusion requirements in critical care. Transfusion Requirements in Critical Care Investigators, Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. N Engl J Med 1999;340:409–17.
51. , , , et al. Liberal or restrictive transfusion in high-risk patients after hip surgery. N Engl J Med 2011;365:2453–62.
52. , , , et al. Transfusion requirements after cardiac surgery: the TRACS randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2010;304:1559–67.
53. , , , et al. Transfusion strategies for patients in pediatric intensive care units. N Engl J Med 2007;356:1609–19.
54. , . What should trigger a transfusion?Transfusion 2010;50:2073–5.
55. . Factors affecting hemoglobin measurement. J Clin Monit Comput 2013; 27 (5):499–508.
56. , , , et al. Accuracy of noninvasive and continuous hemoglobin measurement by pulse co-oximetry during preoperative phlebotomy. J Intens Care Med 2013; Apr 22[epub ahead of print].
57. , , , . Comparison of haemoglobin measurement methods in the operating theatre. Br J Anaesth 2013; 111 (6): 946–54.
58. , , , et al. Continuous noninvasive hemoglobin monitor from pulse ox: ready for prime time?World J Surg 2013;37:525–9.
59. , , , et al. Evaluation of a new nonnvasive device in determining hemoglobin levels in emergency department patients. West J Emerg Med 2013;14:283–6.
60. , , , et al. Evaluation of point-of-care haemoglobin measuring devices: a comparison of Radical-7 pulse co-oximetry, HemoCue((R)) and laboratory haemoglobin measurements in obstetric patients. Anaesthesia 2013;68:40–5.
61. , , . Accuracy of noninvasive hemoglobin and invasive point-of-care hemoglobin testing compared with a laboratory analyzer. Int J Lab Hematol 2013; Jun 27.doi:10.1111/ijlh.12118[epub ahead of print]
62. , , , . A comparison of three methods of hemoglobin monitoring in patients undergoing spine surgery. Anesth Analg 2011;112:858–63.
63. , , , et al. The accuracy of noninvasive hemoglobin monitoring using the radical-7 pulse CO-oximeter in children undergoing neurosurgery. Anesth Analg 2012;115:1302–7.
64. , , , et al. Management of hemorrhage in cardiothoracic surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2013;27:S20–S34.
65. , . Point of care devices for assessing bleeding and coagulation in the trauma patient. Anesthesiol Clin 2013;31:55–65.
66. , , . Management of major blood loss: an update. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2010;54:1039–49.
67. , , , et al. Blood component therapy in trauma guided with the utilization of the perfusionist and thromboelastography. J Extra Corpor Technol 2011;43:162–7.
68. , , , . Physiologic transfusion triggers. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 2007;21:173–81.
69. , , , et al. The clinical utility of an index of global oxygenation for guiding red blood cell transfusion in cardiac surgery. Transfusion 2009;49:682–8.
70. , , . Anemia and perioperative red blood cell transfusion: a matter of tolerance. Crit Care Med 2006;34:S102–S108.
71. , , . Brain tissue oxygen monitoring in traumatic brain injury and major trauma: outcome analysis of a brain tissue oxygen-directed therapy. J Neurosurg 2009;111:672–82.
72. , , , et al. Monitoring of brain oxygen saturation (INVOS) in a protocol to direct blood transfusions during cardiac surgery: a prospective randomized clinical trial. J Cardiothorac Surg 2013;8:145.
73. , , , . Blood use in elective surgery: the Austrian benchmark study. Transfusion 2007;47:1468–80.
74. , , . The chiasm: transfusion practice versus patient blood management. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 2013;27:37–42.
75. , , , et al. Hospital-acquired anemia: prevalence, outcomes, and healthcare implications. J Hosp Med 2013; 8 (9): 506–12.
76. , , , et al. Diagnostic blood loss from phlebotomy and hospital-acquired anemia during acute myocardial infarction. Arch Intern Med 2011;171:1646–53.
77. , , . Patient blood management and outcome, too early or not?Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 2013;27:161–72.
78. , , , . Practical recommendations for patient blood management and the reduction of perioperative transfusion in joint replacement surgery. ANZ J Surg 2013;83:222–9.
79. , . “Transfusion indication RBC (PBM-02)”: gap analysis of a Joint Commission Patient Blood Management Performance Measure at a community hospital. Blood Transfus 2012;1–5.
80. , , , et al. Patient blood management in Europe. Br J Anaesth 2012;109:55–68.