1. . Delirium: Acute Confusional States. New York: Oxford, 1990.
2. , , . A critique of instruments and methods to detect, diagnose, and rate delirium. J Pain Symptom Manage 1994;10:35–77.
3. . Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th ed., text revision. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 2000.
4. , . Clinical review: agitation and delirium in the critically ill – significance and management. Critical Care 2007;11:214.
5. . CNS arousal systems: possible role in delirium. Int Psychogeriatr 1991;3:353–371.
6. , . An empirical study of delirium subtypes. Br J Psychiatry 1992;161:843–845.
7. , , , et al. Delirium and its motoric subtypes: a study of 614 critically ill patients. J Am Geriatr Soc 2006;54:479–84.
8. , , . A prospective study of delirium in hospitalized elderly. JAMA 1990;263:1097–1101.
9. , , , et al. Delirium. The occurrence and persistence of symptoms among elderly hospitalized patients. Arch Intern Med 1992;152:334–40.
10. , . Postoperative delirium in the elderly. Anesth Analg 1995;80:1223–1232.
11. , , , et al. A clinical prediction rule for delirium after elective noncardiac surgery. JAMA 1994;271:134–139.
12. , , . Postoperative delirium. A review of 80 primary data-collection studies. Arch Intern Med 1995;155:461–465.
13. , , , et al. Comparison of three scores to screen for delirium in the recovery room. Br J Anaesth 2008;101:338–343.
14. , , , et al. Postoperative confusion after anesthesia in elderly patients with femoral neck fractures. Anesth Analg 1987;66:497–504.
15. , , , et al. Acute confusional states in elderly patients treated for femoral neck fracture. J Am Geriatr Soc 1988;36:55–530.
16. , , , et al. Recovery room delirium predicts postoperative delirium after hip-fracture repair. Anesth Analg 2005;101:1215–1220.
17. , , , et al. Post-operative delirium: predictors and prognosis in elderly orthopedic patients. J Am Geriatr Soc 1992;40:759–767.
18. , . Cognitive function after anaesthesia in the elderly. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 2003;17:259–272.
19. , , , et al. Risk factors for delirium at discharge: development and validation of a predictive model. Arch Intern Med 2007;167:1406–13.
20. , , , et al. Delirium among newly admitted postacute facility patients: prevalence, symptoms, and severity. J Gerontol Biol Sci Med Sci 2003;58:M441–M445.
21. , , , et al. Does anaesthesia cause postoperative cognitive dysfunction? A randomized study of regional versus general anaesthesia in 438 elderly patients. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2003;47:260–266.
22. , , , et al. Delirium as a predictor of mortality in mechanically ventilated patients in the intensive care unit. JAMA 2004;291:1753–1762.
23. , , , et al. Intensive care unit delirium is an independent predictor of longer hospital stay: a prospective analysis of 261 non-ventilated patients. Crit Care 2005;4:R375–R381.
24. , , , et al. The impact of delirium in the intensive care unit on hospital length of stay. Intensive Care Med 2001;27:1892–1900.
25. , , , . The cost of delirium in the surgical patient. Psychosomatics 2001;42:68–73.
26. , , , et al. Costs associated with delirium in mechanically ventilated patients. Crit Care Med 2004;32:955–962.
27. , , . One-year health care costs associated with delirium in the elderly population. Arch Intern Med 2008;168:27–32.
28. , , , . Delirium assessment in the critically ill. Intensive Care Med 2007;33:929–940.
29. , , , et al. Delirium in an intensive care unit: a study of risk factors. Intensive Care Med 2001;27:1297–1304.
30. , , , et al. The association of intraoperative factors with the development of postoperative delirium. Am J Med 1998;105:380–384.
31. , , . General versus regional anaesthesia for hip fracture surgery: a meta-analysis of randomized trials. Br J Anaesth 2000;84:450–455.
32. , , . The role of postoperative analgesia in delirium and cognitive decline in elderly patients: a systematic review. Anesth Analg 2006;102:1255–1266.
33. , , , et al. Lorazepam is an independent risk factor for transitioning to delirium in intensive care unit patients. Anesthesiology 2006;104:21–26.
34. , , . Post-operative sedation and the incidence of ICU delirium in cardiac surgery patients. ASA Annual Meeting Abstracts. Anesthesiology 2003;99:A465.
35. , , , et al. Effect of sedation with dexmedetomidine vs lorazepam on acute brain dysfunction in mechanically ventilated patients: the MENDS randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2007;298:2644–2653.
36. , , , et al. Apolipoprotein E4 polymorphism as a genetic predisposition to delirium in critically ill patients. Crit Care Med 2007:35:112–7.
37. , , , et al. Clinical practice guidelines for the sustained use of sedatives and analgesics in the critically ill adult. Crit Care Med 2002;30:119–141.
38. , , , et al. A multifactorial intervention to reduce prevalence of delirium and shorten hospital length of stay. J Am Geriatr Soc 2005;53:18–23.
39. , , , et al. Clarifying confusion: the confusion assessment method. A new method for detection of delirium. Ann Intern Med 1990;113:941–948.
40. , , , et al. Evaluation of delirium in critically ill patients: validation of the confusion assessment method for the intensive care unit (CAM-ICU). Crit Care Med 2001;29:1370–1379.
41. , , . Prospective evaluation of the Sedation-Agitation Scale for adult critically ill patients. Crit Care Med 1999;27:1325–1329.
42. , , , et al. The Richmond Agitation-Sedation Scale: validity and reliability in adult intensive care patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002;166:1338–1344.
43. , , , et al. Motor Activity Assessment Scale: a valid and reliable sedation scale for use with mechanically ventilated patients in an adult surgical intensive care unit. Crit Care Med 1999;27:1271–1275.
44. , , , , . Detection, prevention and treatment of delirium in critically ill patients. United Kingdom Clinical Pharmacy Association. Version 1.2, 2006.
45. , , , et al. Validation of a cognitive test for delirium in medical ICU patients. Psychosomatics 1996;37:533–546.
46. , , , . Abbreviated cognitive test for delirium. J Psychosom Res 1997;43:417–423.
47. , , , et al. Intensive Care Delirium Screening Checklist: evaluation of a new screening tool. Intensive Care Med 2001;27:859–864.
48. , , , et al. Validity and reliability of the DDS for severity of delirium in the ICU. Neurocritical Care 2005;2:150–158.
49. , , , . The NEECHAM Confusion Scale: construction, validation, and clinical testing. Nurs Res 1996;45:324–30.
50. , , , . The NEECHAM confusion scale: assessing acute confusion in the hospitalized and nursing home elderly (abstr.). Gerontologist 1987;27:4A.
51. , , , et al. A comparison of the CAM-ICU and the NEECHAM Confusion Scale in intensive care delirium assessment: an observational study in non-intubated patients. Crit Care 2008;12: R16.
52. , , . A symptom rating scale for delirium. Psychiatry Res 1988; 23:89–9.
53. , , , et al. Validation of the Delirium Rating Scale-Revised-98: comparison with the delirium rating scale and the cognitive test for delirium. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 2001;13:229–42.
54. , , , et al. The Memorial Delirium Assessment Scale. J Pain Symptom Manage 1997;13:128–13.
55. , , , et al. The delirium symptom interview: an interview for the detection of delirium symptoms in hospitalized patients. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 1992;5:14–21.
56. , , . A critique of instruments and methods to detect, diagnose, and rate delirium. J Pain Symptom Manage 1994;10:35–77.
57. , , . Confusion: testing versus observation. J Gerontol Nurs 1986;14:25–30.
58. , , , et al. Fast, systematic, and continuous delirium assessment in hospitalized patients: The Nursing Delirium Screening Scale. J Pain Symptom Manage 2005;29:368–375.
59. , , , et al. Comparison of three scores to screen for delirium in the recovery room. Br J Anaesth 2008;101:338–43.
60. . Development of a scale to measure confusion in hospitalized adults. Doctoral dissertation, Case Western Reserve University. Dissertation Abstracts International. 1986;47(09B):3709.
61. . Clinical assessment of confusion. In , , , , eds. Key Aspects of Elder Care: Managing Falls, Incontinence, and Cognitive Impairment. New York: Springer, 1992;251–262.
62. . Predicting and preventing confusion in your patients. J Gerontol Nurs 1986;12:27–31.
63. . Four acute confusion assessment instruments: reliability and validity for use in long-term care facilities. J Gerontol Nurs 2002;28:12–19.
64. . Delirium: optimizing management. BMJ 2001;322:144–149.
65. , , , . Olanzapine vs haloperidol: treating delirium in a critical care setting. Intensive Care Med 2004;30:444–449.
66. , , . Methylphenidate hydrochloride improves cognitive function in patients with advanced cancer and hypoactive delirium: a prospective clinical study. Rev Psychiatr Neurosci 2005;30:100–107.
67. , , . Delirium: a symptom of how hospital care is failing older persons and a window to improve quality of hospital care. Am J Med 1999;106:565–573.