1. , , . A national survey of the complications of endometrial destruction for menstrual disorders: the MISTLETOE study. Minimally Invasive Surgical Techniques – Laser, EndoThermal or Endorescetion. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1997;104:1351–9.
2.A Scottish audit of hysteroscopic surgery for menorrhagia: complications and follow up. . Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1995;102:249–54.
3. , , , et al. The eVALuate study: two parallel randomised trials, one comparing laparoscopic with abdominal hysterectomy, the other comparing laparoscopic with vaginal hysterectomy. BMJ 2004;328:129.
4. , , , et al. The VALUE national hysterectomy study: description of the patients and their surgery. BJOG 2002;109:302–12.
6. , , . Surgery versus medical therapy for heavy menstrual bleeding. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006;(2):CD003855.
7. , , , . Endometrial resection and ablation versus hysterectomy for heavy menstrual bleeding. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000;(2):CD000329.
8. , , , et al. Hysterectomy, endometrial destruction, and levonorgestrel releasing intrauterine system (Mirena) for heavy menstrual bleeding: systematic review and meta-analysis of data from individual patients. BMJ 2010;341:c3929.
9. , , . Laser photovaporization of endometrium for the treatment of menorrhagia. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1981;140:14–19.
10. , , . Transcervical resection of the endometrium in women with menorrhagia. BMJ 1989;298:1209–12.
11. , , , et al. A randomised trial comparing endometrial resection and abdominal hysterectomy for the treatment of menorrhagia. BMJ 1991;303:1362–4.
12. , , , , , . Patient selection for hysteroscopic endometrial resection. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1991;98:839.
13. . Prognostic factors for success of endometrial ablation and resection. Lancet 1998;351:1147–8.
14. , , , , , . Goserelin acetate (Zoladex) plus endometrial ablation for dysfunctional uterine bleeding: a large randomized, double-blind study. Fertil Steril 1997;68:29–36.
15. . Hyponatremic encephalopathy after rollerball endometrial ablation. Anesth Analg 1995;80:1046–8.
16. , . Endometrial ablation complicated by fatal hyponatremic encephalopathy. JAMA 1993;270:1230–2.
17. , , , , , . A prospective randomised study of the effects of prophylactic antibiotics on the incidence of bacteraemia following hysteroscopic surgery. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 1995;63:37–40.
18. . Fatal toxic shock syndrome following endometrial resection. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1995;102:163–4.
19. , , , , , . Endometrial resection versus vaginal hysterectomy for menorrhagia: long-term clinical and quality-of-life outcomes. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1997;177:95–101.
20. , , . Randomised controlled trial comparing endometrial resection with abdominal hysterectomy for the surgical treatment of menorrhagia. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1993;100:237–43.
21. , , , . Medical Research Council randomised trial of endometrial resection versus hysterectomy in the management of menorrhagia. Lancet 1997;349:891–901.
22. , , , . Five-year follow up of women randomised to medical management or transcervical resection of the endometrium for heavy menstrual loss: clinical and quality of life outcomes. BJOG 2001;108:1222–8.
23. , . Bowel injury from rollerball ablation of the endometrium. Obstet Gynecol 1992;79:833–5.
24. . Bowel injury from rollerball ablation of the endometrium. Obstet Gynecol 1992;80:727.
25. , , , et al. A pragmatic randomised comparison of transcervical resection of the endometrium with endometrial laser ablation for the treatment of menorrhagia. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1997;104:601–7.
26. , , , . Postablation-tubal sterilization syndrome. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 1996;3:435–8.
27. , , , , . Post-ablation-tubal sterilization syndrome. Obstet Gynecol 1993; 82:422–4.
28. , , , . Hematosalpinx with pelvic pain after endometrial ablation confirms the postablation-tubal sterilization syndrome. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 1996;3:419–21.
29. . Long-term risk of hysterectomy after tubal sterilization. Am J Epidemiol 1987;125:410–19.
30. , . Hysterectomy following sterilization. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1982;89:845–8.
31. , . Pregnancy following endometrial ablation: case history and literature review. Obstet Gynecol Surv 2003;58:551–6.
32. , , , , . Office microwave endometrial ablation in the post menstrual phase – A RCT results to one year. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 2003;10:S4.
33. , , . Randomized controlled trial comparing Thermachoice III* in the outpatient versus daycase setting. Fertil Steril 2007;87:642–50.
34. . Three-year comparison of thermal balloon and rollerball ablation in treatment of menorrhagia. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 2001;8:48–54.
35. , . Five-year follow-up of patients participating in a randomized trial of uterine balloon therapy versus rollerball ablation for treatment of menorrhagia. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 2002;9:429–35.
36. , , , , , . Thermal balloon and rollerball ablation to treat menorrhagia: a multicenter comparison. Obstet Gynecol 1998;92:98–103.
37. , , . Microwave endometrial ablation versus endometrial resection: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2002;99:983–7.
38. , , . Comparison of microwave endometrial ablation and transcervical resection of the endometrium for treatment of heavy menstrual loss: a randomised trial. Lancet 1999;354:1859–63.
39. , , , et al. One-year results of the vesta system for endometrial ablation. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 2000;7:489–97.
40. , , , et al. A randomized, multicenter trial of safety and efficacy of the NovaSure system in the treatment of menorrhagia. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 2002;9:418–28.
41. , , , . A randomized study comparing endometrial cryoablation and rollerball electroablation for treatment of dysfunctional uterine bleeding. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 2003;10:17–26.
42. . A multicenter evaluation of endometrial ablation by Hydro ThermAblator and rollerball for treatment of menorrhagia. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 2001;8:359–67.
45. , , , , , . Hysteroscopic transcervical endometrial resection versus thermal destruction for menorrhagia: a prospective randomized trial on satisfaction rate. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2002;187:545–50.
46. , , , . A randomised comparison of microwave endometrial ablation with transcervical resection of the endometrium; follow up at a minimum of five years. BJOG 2005;112(4):470–5.
47. , , , . Clinical outcomes from a randomised comparison of microwave endometrial ablation with thermal balloon endometrial ablation for the treatment of heavy menstrual bleeding. BJOG 2009;116:1038–45.
48. , . NovaSure impedance-controlled system for endometrial ablation. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 2002;9:283–9.
49. , . Threshold intrauterine perfusion pressures for intraperitoneal spill during hydrotubation and correlation with tubal adhesive disease. Fertil Steril 1995;64:1066–9.
50. , . Minimum intrauterine pressure required for uterine distention. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 1998;5:51–3.
51. , . Extirpated uterine endometrial cryoablation with ultrasound visualization. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 2000;7:95–101.
52. , , , . A randomized study comparing endometrial cryoablation and rollerball electroablation for treatment of dysfunctional uterine bleeding. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 2003;10:17–26.
53. , , , , . Evaluation of novel nonlaser light source for endometrial ablation using 5-aminolevulinic acid. Lasers Surg Med 1999;25:315–22.
54. , , , et al. Photodynamic endometrial ablation: morphological study. Lasers Surg Med 2003;32:305–9.
55. , , , et al. Endometrial laser intrauterine thermo-therapy (ELITT): a revolutionary new approach to the elimination of menorrhagia. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 1999;11:363–70.
56. , , , , , . Endometrial laser intrauterine thermotherapy: the first series of 100 patients observed for 1 year. Fertil Steril 2000;74:791–6.
57. , , , , , . A randomized comparison of endometrial laser intrauterine thermotherapy and hysteroscopic endometrial resection. Fertil Steril 2004;82:731–4.
58. , , , et al. Randomised trial of hysterectomy, endometrial laser ablation, and transcervical endometrial resection for dysfunctional uterine bleeding. BMJ 1994;309:979–83.
59. , , , , , , et al. Severe complications of hysterectomy: the VALUE study. BJOG 2004;111:688–94.
60. , , , et al. Hysterectomy among women of reproductive age. Trends in the United States, 1970–1978. JAMA 1982;248:323–7.
61. , , . How to interpret the findings of the eVALuate study. BJOG 2005;112:391–3.
62. , , , et al. The learning curve of total laparoscopic hysterectomy: comparative analysis of 1647 cases. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 2002;9:339–45.
63. . History of Gynaecology. New York: Foben Press; 1944.
64. . Supravaginal uterine amputation vs. hysterectomy. Effects on coital frequency and dyspareunia. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1983;62:141–5.
65. , , , . Supravaginal uterine amputation vs. hysterectomy. Effects on libido and orgasm. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1983;62:147–52.
66. . Supravaginal uterine amputation versus hysterectomy with reference to subjective bladder symptoms and incontinence. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1985;64:375–9.
67. , , . Long term outcome following laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy. BJOG 2001;108:1017–20.
68. . Hysterectomy: evolution and trends. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2005;19:295–305.
69. . Total or subtotal hysterectomy – what is the evidence? In: , , editors. Recent Advances in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. London: Royal Society of Medicine Press; 2005. pp. 169–81.
70. , , , , . Abdominal hysterectomy practice patterns in the United States. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 1998;63:277–83.
71. , , , , . Total versus subtotal hysterectomy: a survey of current views and practice among British gynaecologists. J Obstet Gynaecol 1998;18:267–9.