1. . The pathogenesis of acute viral encephalitis and postinfectious encephalomyelitis. J Infect Dis 1987;155:359–364.
2. . Postinfectious and vaccinal encephalitis. Med Clin North Am 1967;51:701–717.
3. , . Acute disseminated encephalo-myelitis complicating smallpox. Indian Pediatr 1967;4:361–363.
4. , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. Br J Clin Pract 1974;28:243–245.
5. . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis and “allergic” neuroencephalopathies: Multiple sclerosis and other demyelinating diseases. In Handbook of Clinical Neurology, ed. and . Amsterdam: North Holland Publishing Company; 1970:500–571.
6. , , . Consensus definitions proposed for pediatric multiple sclerosis and related disorders. Neurology 2007;68:S7–12.
7. , , , et al. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis in childhood: Epidemiologic, clinical and laboratory features. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2004;23:756–764.
8. , , , et al. Clinical study of childhood acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, multiple sclerosis, and acute transverse myelitis in Fukuoka Prefecture, Japan. Brain Dev 2010;32:454–462. Epub 2009/11/28.
9. , , , . Paediatric multiple sclerosis and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis in Germany: Results of a nationwide survey. Eur J Pediatr 2007;166:405–412.
10. , , , et al. Incidence of acquired demyelination of the CNS in Canadian children. Neurology 2009;72:232–239.
11. , , , , , . Clinical and neuroradiologic features of acute disseminated encephalomyelitis in children. Neurology 2001;56:1308–1312.
12. , , , , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, multiphasic disseminated encephalomyelitis and multiple sclerosis in children. Brain 2000;123:2407–2422.
13. , , , et al. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis in children: Outcome and prognosis. Neuropediatrics 2003;34:194–199.
14. , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis: A long-term follow-up study of 84 pediatric patients. Neurology 2002;59:1224–1231.
15. . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. Neurol India 2002;50:238–243.
16. , , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis in North Indian children: Clinical profile and follow-up. J Child Neurol 2006;21:851–857.
17. , , , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis cohort study: Prognostic factors for relapse. Eur J Paediatr Neurol 2007;11:90–95.
18. , , , et al. First episode of acute CNS inflammatory demyelination in childhood: Prognostic factors for multiple sclerosis and disability. J Pediatr 2004;144:246–252.
19. , , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis: Clinical and MRI study from South India. J Neurol Sci 1999;165:133–138.
20. , , , . Acquired demyelinating disorders of childhood in the Western Cape, South Africa. J Child Neurol 2010;25:48–56.
21. , , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis in children. Pediatrics 2002;110:e21.
22. , , . Para-infectious encephalomyelitis and related syndromes; a critical review of the neurological complications of certain specific fevers. Q J Med 1956;25:427–505.
23. , . Central nervous system manifestations of chickenpox. Can Med Assoc J 1970;102:831–834.
24. , , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis: Clinical and pathogenesis features. Neurol Clin 2008;26:759–780, ix.
25. , , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM) due to Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection in an adolescent. Infection 2001;29:240–242.
26. , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis in children. A descriptive study in Tehran, Iran. Saudi Med J 2007;28:396–399.
27. , , , . MRI findings in children infected by Borrelia burgdorferi. Pediatr Neurol 1992;8:428–431.
28. , , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis following Leptospira infection. Eur Neurol 2001;46:104–105.
29. , , , et al. Poststreptococcal acute disseminated encephalomyelitis with basal ganglia involvement and auto-reactive antibasal ganglia antibodies. Ann Neurol 2001;50:588–595.
30. , , , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis after Japanese B encephalitis vaccination. Pediatr Neurol 1992;8:137–139.
31. , , , et al. Bilateral, reversible, selective thalamic involvement demonstrated by brain MR and acute severe neurological dysfunction with favorable outcome. Neuropediatrics 1994;25:44–47.
32. , , , et al. Acute necrotising encephalopathy of childhood: A new syndrome presenting with multifocal, symmetric brain lesions. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1995;58:555–561.
33. , , , . Thalamic syndrome in children with measles infection and selective, reversible thalamic involvement. Pediatrics 1998;101:112–119.
34. , , . Transient thalamic changes on MRI in a child with hypernatremia. Pediatr Neurol 1999;20:60–62.
35. , , , et al. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis: An update. Arch Neurol 2005;62:1673–1680.
36. , , , , . Detection of infectious agents in brain of patients with acute hemorrhagic leukoencephalitis. J Neurovirol 2002;8:439–446.
37. , , . Acute hemorrhagic leukoencephalitis: A critical entity for forensic pathologists to recognize. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 2010;31:7–11.
38. , , , , . Post-vaccination encephalomyelitis: Literature review and illustrative case. J Clin Neurosci 2008;15:1315–1322.
39. . Neurological complications of immunization. Ann Neurol 1982;12:119–128.
40. . Mumps, measles, and rubella vaccination and encephalitis. BMJ 1989;299:1219.
41. , , , , , . Neurologic complications of Semple-type rabies vaccine: Clinical and immunologic studies. Neurology 1987;37:550–556.
42. , , . Neurological complications to vaccination against Japanese encephalitis. Eur J Neurol 1998;5:479–485.
43. , , , , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis associated with oral polio vaccine. Intern Med 2006;45:1143–1146.
44. , , , , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM) or ADEM-like inflammatory changes in a heart-lung transplant recipient: A case report. Neuroradiology 1995;37:434–437.
45. , , , et al. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis in a renal transplant recipient: A case report. Transplant Proc 2008;40:1751–1753.
46. , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM) after autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplant for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Bone Marrow Transplant 1999;24:1351–1354.
47. , , , et al. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis after para-influenza infection post bone marrow transplantation. Leuk Lymphoma 2002;43:455–457.
48. , , , et al. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM) after allogeneic bone marrow transplantation for acute myeloid leukemia. Ann Hematol 2003;82:37–40.
49. , , , et al. Encephalopathy in pediatric patients after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation is associated with a poor prognosis. Bone Marrow Transplant 2004;33:1151–1157.
50. , , , , . Detection of coronavirus in the central nervous system of a child with acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. Pediatrics 2004;113:e73–76.
51. , , , et al. MRI of acute disseminated encephalomyelitis after coxsackie B infection. J Neuroradiol 1993;20:258–265.
52. , , , et al. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis following dengue fever. J Infect Chemother 2002;8:175–177.
53. , , , , , . Epstein–Barr virus infections of the central nervous system. Intern Med 2003;42:33–40.
54. , , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis following hepatitis A virus infection. Pediatr Neurol 2004;30:207–209.
55. , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis associated with hepatitis C virus infection. Arch Neurol 2001;58:1679–1681.
56. , , , , , . Survey of herpes simplex virus infections of the central nervous system, including acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, in the Kyushu and Okinawa regions of Japan. Mult Scler 1996;2:83–87.
57. , , , . Fulminating encephalopathy with perivenular demyelination and vacuolar myelopathy as the initial presentation of human immunodeficiency virus infection. Arch Neurol 1997;54:647–650.
58. , , , , . Acute disseminated demyelination due to primary human herpesvirus-6 infection. Eur J Pediatr 1997;156:709–712.
59. , , , . Brainstem encephalitis and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis following mumps. Pediatr Neurol 2004;30:132–134.
60. , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis associated with parainfluenza virus infection of childhood. Brain Dev 2002;24:112–114.
61. , , , , , . Optic neuritis following chickenpox in adults. J Neurol 1986;233:182–184.
62. , , , et al. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis associated with Borrelia burgdorferi. J Neurol 2004;251:626–629.
63. , . Chlamydia pneumoniae-associated ADEM. Eur J Neurol 2000;7:435–438.
64. , , , et al. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis following Pontiac fever. Eur Neurol 1998;40:169–172.
65. , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis after Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Pediatr Neurol 1999;21:503–505.
66. , , , et al. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis following Plasmodium vivax malaria. J Infect Chemother 2003;9:254–256.
67. , , , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis associated with poliomyelitis vaccine. Pediatr Neurol 2000;23:177–179.
68. , , , , , . Myelin basic protein as an encephalitogen in encephalomyelitis and polyneuritis following rabies vaccination. N Engl J Med 1987;316:369–374.
69. , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis associated with tetanus vaccination. Eur Neurol 1999;41:231–232.
70. . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis after active immunization against early summer encephalitis. Nervenarzt 2004;75:776–779.
71. , , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. Neurology 2007;68:S23–36.
72. . The clinical course of acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. Neurol Res 2006;28:341–347.
73. , , , et al. Postinfectious inflammatory disorders: Subgroups based on prospective follow-up. Neurology 2005;65:1057–1065.
74. , , , . Acute haemorrhagic encephalomyelitis (AHEM): MRI findings. Neuropediatrics 2004;35:143–146.
75. , , , . Acute hemorrhagic leukoencephalitis vs ADEM: FLAIR MRI and neuropathology findings. Neurology 2003;60:721–722.
76. , , . Acute hemorrhagic leukoencephalitis: Recovery and reversal of magnetic resonance imaging findings in a child. J Child Neurol 1997;12:448–454.
77. , , . Full recovery after acute hemorrhagic leukoencephalitis (Hurst's disease). J Neurol 2000;247:977–979.
78. , , , et al. Use of therapeutic plasma exchange in the management of acute hemorrhagic leukoencephalitis: A case report and review of the literature. Transfusion 2007;47:981–986.
79. , , , , . Treatment leading to dramatic recovery in acute hemorrhagic leukoencephalitis. J Child Neurol 2007;22:109–113.
80. , , , . Schilder's myelinoclastic diffuse sclerosis. Pediatrics 1986;77:107–112.
81. . Large focal tumor-like demyelinating lesions of the brain: Intermediate entity between multiple sclerosis and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis? A study of 31 patients. Ann Neurol 1993;33:18–27.
82. , , , et al. Posterior leukoencephalopathy syndrome in children and adolescents. J Child Neurol 2007;22:406–413.
83. , . Acute neurological dysfunction associated with destructive lesions of the basal ganglia in children. Ann Neurol 1982;12:328–332.
84. , . Treatment of dystonia in striatal necrosis caused by Mycoplasma pneumoniae. Pediatr Neurol 2002;26:318–320.
85. , , , et al. Voltage-gated potassium channel antibody-associated encephalitis with basal ganglia lesions. Neurology 2006;66:1780–1781.
86. , . Central nervous system vasculitis in children. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2004;16:43–50.
87. , , , , , . Isolated angiitis of the CNS in children. Neurology 2001;56:837–842.
88. . Central nervous system involvement in systemic connective tissue diseases. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2006;108:311–317.
89. , , , et al. Neuromyelitis optica-IgG in childhood inflammatory demyelinating CNS disorders. Neurology 2008;70:344–352.
90. , , , , , . Brain abnormalities in neuromyelitis optica. Arch Neurol 2006;63:390–396.
91. , , , et al. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis in children: Clinical features and HLA-DR linkage. Eur J Neurol 2003;10:537–546.
92. , , , , , . Serial magnetic resonance imaging in children with postinfectious encephalitis. Brain Dev 1996;18:461–465.
93. , , , , . Neuropsychological outcome after acute disseminated encephalomyelitis: Impact of age at illness onset. Pediatr Neurol 2004;31:191–197.
94. , , , et al. Recommended diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: Guidelines from the International Panel on the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol 2001;50:121–127.
95. , , , , , . Multiple sclerosis vs acute disseminated encephalomyelitis in childhood. Pediatr Neurol 2003;29:227–231.
96. . Grand rounds – Hammersmith Hospitals. Distinguishing acute disseminated encephalomyelitis from multiple sclerosis. BMJ 1996;313:802–804.
97. . Recurrent ADEM or MS? Intern Med 2004;43:647–648.
98. , . Early relapse risk after a first CNS inflammatory demyelination episode: Examining international consensus definitions. Dev Med Child Neurol 2007;49:887–893.
99. , , . Multiple sclerosis and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis diagnosed in children after long-term follow-up: Comparison of presenting features. Dev Med Child Neurol 2009;51:480–486.
100. , . Haemorrhagic and perivenous encephalitis: A clinical–pathological review of 38 cases. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1975;38:585–591.
101. . Demyelinating diseases. J Clin Pathol 2006;59:1151–1159.
102. , , . Evidence of axonal damage in human acute demyelinating diseases. J Neurol Sci 2004;222:29–34.
103. , . Comparative immunopathogenesis of acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, neuromyelitis optica, and multiple sclerosis. Curr Opin Neurol 2007;20:343–350.
104. , , , , , . Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis: An acute hit against the brain. Curr Opin Neurol 2007;20:247–254.
105. , . Molecular mimicry in T cell-mediated autoimmunity: Viral peptides activate human T cell clones specific for myelin basic protein. Cell 1995;80:695–705.
106. , , , , . Cross-reactivity with myelin basic protein and human herpesvirus-6 in multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol 2003;53:189–197.
107. , , , , . Myelin basic protein and human coronavirus 229E cross-reactive T cells in multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol 1996;39:233–240.
108. , , , , , . High level of cross-reactivity in influenza virus hemagglutinin-specific CD4+ T-cell response: Implications for the initiation of autoimmune response in multiple sclerosis. J Neuroimmunol 2005;169:31–38.
109. , , , et al. A functional and structural basis for TCR cross-reactivity in multiple sclerosis. Nat Immunol 2002;3:940–943.
110. , , . Virus-induced autoimmunity: Potential role of viruses in initiation, perpetuation, and progression of T-cell-mediated autoimmune disease. Viral Immunol 2001;14:227–250.
111. , , , , . Molecular mimicry between a viral peptide and a myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein peptide induces autoimmune demyelinating disease in mice. J Neuroimmunol 1999;95:43–54.
112. , , , . Myelin basic protein reactive Th2 T cells are found in acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. J Neuroimmunol 1998;91:19–27.
113. , , , et al. Encephalomyelitis-associated antimyelin autoreactivity induced by streptococcal exotoxins. Neurology 2000;54:1433–1441.
114. , , , , . Mouse models of multiple sclerosis: Experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis and Theiler's virus-induced demyelinating disease. Methods Mol Med 2004;102:339–361.
115. , , . Characterization of Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus (TMEV)-specific delayed-type hypersensitivity responses in TMEV-induced demyelinating disease: Correlation with clinical signs. J Immunol 1986;136:920–927.
116. , , , , . The balance between persistent virus infection and immune cells determines demyelination. J Immunol 1996;157:5699–5709.
117. , , , . Antibody to peptides of human myelin basic protein in post-rabies vaccine encephalomyelitis sera. J Neuroimmunol 1990;26:107–111.
118. , , , et al. Myelin basic protein-reactive autoantibodies in the serum and cerebrospinal fluid of multiple sclerosis patients are characterized by low-affinity interactions. J Neuroimmunol 2003;136:140–148.
119. , , , et al. Self-antigen tetramers discriminate between myelin autoantibodies to native or denatured protein. Nat Med 2007;13:211–217.
120. , . Interleukin-6 and oligoclonal IgG synthesis in children with acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. Neuropediatrics 2003;34:141–145.
121. , , , et al. Cerebrospinal fluid levels of cytokines and soluble tumour necrosis factor receptor in acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. Eur J Pediatr 2002;161:133–137.
122. , , , et al. Increased peripheral blood interferon gamma-producing T cells in acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. J Neuroimmunol 2000;111:224–228.
123. , , , et al. CSF cytokine and chemokine profiles in acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. J Neuroimmunol 2006;175:52–58.
124. , , , et al. Molecular analysis of HLA class II-associated susceptibility to neuroinflammatory diseases in Korean children. J Korean Med Sci 2004;19:426–430.
125. , . Multiple sclerosis genetics. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 2008;318:45–72.
126. , , , , . Early onset multiple sclerosis: A longitudinal study. Neurology 2002;59:1006–1010.
127. , , , et al. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis in children: Focus on relapsing patients. Pediatr Neurol 2008;39:12–17.