1. . Culture of preimplantation embryos: facts and artifacts. Hum Reprod Update 1995;1:91–148.
2. . Capacitation mechanisms, and the role of capacitation as seen in Eutherian mammals. Reprod Fertil Dev 1996;8:581–94.
3. . Oocyte and embryo culture. In: , , , eds. Handbook of the Assisted Reproduction Laboratory. Boca Raton, CRC Press. 2000;197–219.
4. . How animal embryo research led to the first documented human IVF. Reprod BioMed Online 2002;4(Suppl 1):24–9.
5. . Thoughts on embryo culture condition. Reprod BioMed Online 2001;4:30–8.
6. . What does an embryo need? Hum Fertil 2003;6:180–5.
7. . Media used in assisted reproductive technologies laboratories. In: , , ., eds. A Color Atlas for Human Assisted Reproduction: Laboratory and Clinical Insights. Philadelphia, Williams & Wilkins. 2003;241–56.
8. . An update on embryo culture for human assisted reproductive technology: media, performance, and safety. Semin Reprod Med 2005;23:309–18.
9. , . Choosing a culture medium: making informed choices. Fertil Steril 2008;90:473–83.
10. . Dissection of culture media for embryos: the most important and less important components and characteristics. Reprod Fertil Dev 2008;20:9–18.
11. , , , . Embryo culture: can we perform better than nature? Reprod Biomed Online 2010;20:453–69.
14. , . Alleviation of the ‘2-cell block’ and development to the blastocyst of CF1 mouse embryos: role of amino acids, EDTA and physical parameters. Hum Reprod 1996;11:2703–12.
15. , , . Development of an Improved Embryo Culture System for Clinical Human IVF. Eight Mile Plains, Australia, William A. Cook, 2002.
16. , . Optimization of mouse embryo culture media using simplex methods. J Reprod Fertil 1991;91:543–56.
17. . Elaboration of a new culture medium for physiological studies on human sperm motility and capacitation. Hum Reprod 1986;1:247–50.
18. . The formation and function of oviduct fluid. J Reprod Fertil 1988;82:843–56.
19. . Milieu synthétique pour la survie et la maturation des gamètes et pour la culture de l’oeuf fécondé. CR Acad Sci Paris Série D 1976;282:1967–70.
20. , , . Successful culture in vitro of sheep and cattle ova. J Reprod Fertil 1972;30:493–7.
21. , , . Improved pregnancy rate in human in vitro fertilization with the use of a medium based on the composition of human tubal fluid. Fertil Steril 1985;44:493–8.
22. , , , et al. Blastocyst development and birth after in-vitro maturation of human primary oocytes, intracytoplasmic sperm injection and assisted hatching. Hum Reprod 1995;10:3243–7.
23. , . Culture and selection of viable blastocysts: a feasible proposition for human IVF? Hum Reprod Update 1997;3:367–82.
24. , , . Physiology and culture of the human blastocyst. J Reprod Immunol 2002;55:85–100.
25. . Amino acid metabolism in mammalian cell cultures. Science 1959;130:432–7.
26. . Assisted Conception Australia and New Zealand 1991. Sydney, 1993. ISSN 1038–7234.
27. , . Bicarbonate-buffered media and CO2. Alpha Newsletter 1996;5:10.
28. . Human blastocyst development media. Hum Reprod 2001;16:2725–6.
29. , . Differential regulation of mouse embryo development and viability by amino acids. J Reprod Fertil 1997;109:153–64.
30. , , , . Preimplantation development of mouse embryos in KSOM: augmentation by amino acids and analysis of gene expression. Mol Reprod Dev 1995;41:232–8.
31. , , , . Development of ovine embryos in synthetic oviductal fluid containing amino acids at oviductal fluid concentrations. Biol Reprod 1996;55:703–8.
32. , . The development of fertilized human ova to the blastocyst stage in KSOM(AA) medium: is a two-step protocol necessary? Reprod Biomed Online 2002;5:133–40.
33. , , . Effect of culture systems on mouse early embryo development. Hum Reprod 1993;8:1110–14.
34. , . Joint effects of sodium chloride, glutamine, and glucose in mouse preimplantation embryo culture media. Mol Reprod Dev 1992;31:189–94.
35. , , , et al. An improved culture medium supports development of random-bred 1-cell mouse embryos in vitro. J Reprod Fertil 1989;86:679–88.
36. , , . Glycine protects preimplantation mouse conceptuses from a detrimental effect on development of the inorganic ions in oviductal fluid. J Exp Zool 1990;253:215–19.
37. , . Synergistic effect of alanine and glycine on bovine embryos cultured in a chemically defined medium and amino acid uptake by vitro-produced bovine morulae and blastocysts. Biol Reprod 1996;55:1383–9.
38. . Beneficial effects of taurine on mouse zygotes developing in protein-free culture medium. Theriogenology 1995;44:761–72.
39. , , . Development of early bovine embryos in co-culture with KSOM and taurine, superoxide dismutase or insulin. Theriogenology 1995;44:741–50.
40. , , , et al. Long-term effects of culture of preimplantation mouse embryos on behavior. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2004;101:1595–600.
41. , . Effects of embryo culture on global pattern of gene expression in preimplantation mouse embryos. Reproduction 2004;128:301–11.
42. , . Increase in postimplantation development of cultured mouse embryos by amino acids and induction of fetal retardation and exencephaly by ammonium ions. J Reprod Fertil 1994;102:305–12.
43. , , . Adaptive responses of early embryos to the microenvironment and consequences for post-implantation development. In: , , eds. Early Life Origins of Health and Disease (Adv Exp Biol Med 573). New York, Springer Science+Business Media. 2006;58–69.
44. , , . Oxidative stress and protection against reactive oxygen species in the pre-implantation embryo and its surroundings. Hum Reprod Update 2001;7:175–89.
45. , , . Role of oxidative stress in female reproduction. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2005;3:28, doi:10.1186/1477-7827-3-28.
46. . Sperm preparation techniques and iatrogenic failures of in-vitro fertilization. Hum Reprod 1991;6:173–6.
47. , , , et al. Relative impact of oxidative stress on the functional competence and genomic integrity of human spermatozoa. Biol Reprod 1998;59:1037–46.
48. , . On the possible origins of DNA damage in human spermatozoa. Mol Hum Reprod 2010;16:3–13.
49. , , , . New insights into sperm physiology and pathology. Handbook Exp Pharmacol 2010;198:99–115.
50. . Sperm preparation methods. J Androl 2000;21:357–66.
51. , , , et al. A Practical Guide to Basic Laboratory Andrology. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2010.
52. , . Oxygen tension in the oviduct and uterus of rhesus monkeys, hamsters and rabbits. J Reprod Fertil 1993;99:673–9.
53. , , , et al. Effects of oxygen tension on gene expression in preimplantation mouse embryos. Fertil Steril 2006;86:1252–65.
54. , , . The early embryo response to intracellular reactive oxygen species is developmentally regulated. Reprod Fertil Dev 2011;23:561–75.
55. , , . Evaluation of different culture systems with low oxygen tension on the development, quality and oxidative stress-related genes of bovine embryos produced in vitro. Zygote 2012;20:209–17.
56. , . Cysteamine supplementation of in vitro maturation media: a review. Reprod Domest Anim 2010;45:e476–82.
57. . Oxygen concentration and preimplantation development. Reprod Biomed Online 2004;9:484–6.
58. , , , et al. Effect of oxygen concentration on in-vitro development of preimplantation sheep and cattle embryos. J Reprod Fertil 1990;89:573–8.
59. , , . The impact of oxygen tension on developmental competence of post-thaw human embryos. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2005;84:1181–4.
60. , . Influence of atmospheric versus reduced oxygen concentration on development of human blastocysts in vitro: a prospective study on sibling oocytes. Reprod Biomed Online 2008;17:229–36.
61. , , , . Low-oxygen compared with high-oxygen atmosphere in blastocyst culture, a prospective randomized study. Fertil Steril 2009;91:2461–5.
62. , , , et al. A controlled randomized trial evaluating the effect of lowered incubator oxygen tension on live births in a predominantly blastocyst transfer program. Hum Reprod 2009;24:300–7.
63. , . Lipoic acid – the drug of the future? Pharmacol Rep 2005;57:570–7.
64. . Carbon dioxide and bicarbonate. In: , , , eds. Manometric Techniques. Minneapolis, Burgess Publishing Co. 1957;18–27.
65. , , . Human embryo features that influence the success of cryopreservation with the use of 1,2 propanediol. Fertil Steril, 1985;44:645–51.
66. , , , . The effect of different zwitterionic buffers and PBS used for out-of-incubator procedures during standard in vitro embryo production on development, morphology and gene expression of bovine embryos. Theriogenology 2008;70:1461–70.
67. , , , , . Improved implantation rates of cryopreserved human embryos thawed in a phosphate-free medium. Hum Reprod 1998;13(Abstract Book 1):59–60.
68. . Back to basics: pH for the ARTisan. J Clin Embryol 2010;13(2):9–28.
69. . Optimizing the culture environment in the IVF laboratory: impact of pH and buffer capacity on gamete and embryo quality. Reprod Biomed Online 2010;21:6–16.
70. , , , . Growth of mouse embryos in bicarbonate media buffered by carbon dioxide, hepes, or phosphate. J In Vitro Fert Embryo Transf 1986;3:304–8.
71. , . New pH-buffering system for media utilized during gamete and embryo manipulations for assisted reproduction. Reprod Biomed Online 2009;18:799–810.
72. , , . The beneficial effect of EDTA on development of mouse one-cell embryos in chemically defined medium. Dev Biol 1977;61:378–83.
73. , . Inhibiting 3-phosphoglycerate kinase by EDTA stimulates the development of the cleavage stage mouse embryo. Mol Reprod Dev 2001;60:233–40.
74. . Timing of fertilization in mammals: sperm cholesterol/phospholipid ratio as a determinant of the capacitation interval. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1981;78:7560–4.
75. , , , et al Identification of sterol acceptors that stimulate cholesterol efflux from human spermatozoa during in vitro capacitation. Gamete Res 1988;20:185–201.
76. , , , et al. Human oviductal fluid proteins. Fertil Steril 1981;36:623–9.
77. , . ICSI for all? In: , ed. How to Improve your ART Success Rates: An Evidence-Based Review of Adjuncts to IVF. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press. 2011;135–40.
78. , . Whole protein uptake and metabolism by mouse blastocysts. J Reprod Fertil 1986;78:149–57.
79. . In vitro culture and embryo metabolism of cattle and sheep embryos – a decade of achievement. Anim Reprod Sci 2000;60–61:263–75.
80. . Quiet please, do not disturb: a hypothesis of embryo metabolism and viability. Bioessays 2002;24:845–9.
81. , , , . Embryo viability and metabolism: obeying the quiet rules. Hum Reprod 2007;22:3047–50.
82. , , , , . Metabolism of the viable mammalian embryo: quietness revisited. Mol Hum Reprod 2008;14:667–72.
83. . Enhanced results in mouse and human embryo culture using a modified human tubal fluid medium lacking glucose and phosphate. J Assist Reprod Genet 1995;12:97–105.
84. , , , . Effects of pyruvate and glucose on the development of human preimplantation embryos in vitro. J Reprod Fertil 1993;99:87–95.
85. , , , . Glucose and phosphate toxicity in hamster preimplantation embryos involves disruption of cellular organization, including distribution of active mitochondria. Mol Reprod Dev 1997;48:227–37.
86. , , , . Environment of the preimplantation human embryo in vivo: metabolite analysis of oviduct and uterine fluids and metabolism of cumulus cells. Fertil Steril 1996;65:349–53.
87. , . Blastomere homeostasis. In: , , eds. ART and the Human Blastocyst. New York, Springer-Verlag. 2001;69–90.
88. , , . Glycine protects preimplantation mouse conceptuses from a detrimental effect on development of the inorganic ions in oviductal fluid. J Exp Zool 1990;253:215–19.
89. , . Organic osmolytes and embryos: substrates of the Gly and beta transport systems protect mouse zygotes against the effects of raised osmolarity. Biol Reprod 1997;56:1550–8.
90. , , , et al. Taurine acts as an osmolyte in human and mouse oocytes and embryos. Biol Reprod 1997;56:739–44.
91. , , , et al. Rescue of postcompaction-stage mouse embryo development from hypertonicity by amino acid transporter substrates that may function as organic osmolytes. Biol Reprod 2010;82:769–77.
92. , . Cell volume regulation in oocytes and early embryos: connecting physiology to successful culture media. Hum Reprod Update 2010;16:166–76.
93. , , , . ESHRE special interest group for andrology basic semen analysis course: a continued focus on accuracy, quality, efficiency and clinical relevance. Hum Reprod 2011;26:3207–12.
94. . Optimizing pH in clinical embryology. Clin Embryologist 2004;7(3):1–17.
95. , . What is the relationship between the metabolism of preimplantation embryos and their developmental competence? Mol Reprod Dev 1996;43:105–33.
96. , , , . Intracellular pH regulation in human preimplantation embryos. Hum Reprod 2000;15:896–904.
97. , , , et al. Intracellular pH regulation in the human oocyte. Hum Reprod 1998;13:964–70.
98. , , . Altering intracellular pH disrupts development and cellular organization in preimplantation hamster embryos. Biol Reprod 2001;64:1845–54.
99. , , , . Alterations in mouse embryo intracellular pH by DMO during culture impair implantation and fetal growth. Reprod Biomed Online 2010;21:219–29.
100. , . Quality and Risk Management in the IVF Laboratory. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2005.
101. , . Embryology in the era of proteomics. Theriogenology 2007;68(1):S125–30.
102. , , . Epigenetics and assisted reproductive technology. J Intern Med 2011;270:414–20.