1. , , , et al. Normal diameter of the thoracic aorta in adults: a magnetic resonance imaging study. Surg Radiol Anat 2003; 25: 322–9.
2. , , , et al. The influence of epiaortic ultrasonography on intraoperative surgical management in 6051 cardiac surgical patientsAnn Thorac Surg 2008; 85: 548–53.
3. , , , et al. Epiaortic scanning modifies planned intraoperative surgical management but not cerebral embolic load during coronary artery bypass surgery. Anesth Analg 2008; 106: 1611–18.
4. , , , . A novel acoustic window for trans-oesophageal echocardiography by using a saline-filled endotracheal balloon. Br J Anaesth 2006; 97: 624–9.
5. , . Transesophageal echocardiographic evaluation of the aorta and pulmonary artery. In: , , , eds., Clinical Transesophageal Echocardiography: a Problem-Oriented Approach, 2nd edn. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2003: 215–44.
6. . Bicuspid aortic valve and coarctation: two villains part of a diffuse problem. Heart 2003; 89: 965–6.
7. , , , et al. Clinical and pathophysiological implications of a bicuspid aortic valve. Circulation 2002; 106: 900–4.
8. , , , et al. Utility of transesophageal echocardiography in the examination of adult patients with patent ductus arteriosus. Am Heart J 1995; 130: 543–6.
9. , , , , . Diagnostic accuracy of transesophageal echocardiography for detecting patent ductus arteriosus in adolescents and adults. Chest 1995; 108: 1201–5.
10. , , , . Aortic dissection with intimal intussusception: diagnosis and management. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 2000; 41: 613–15.
11. , , , et al. Aortic intussusception: a rare presentation of type A aortic dissection evidenced by transesophageal echocardiography. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 1993; 34: 385–7.
12. , , . Management of a large pseudo-aneurysm secondary to balloon angioplasty for aortic coarctation. Acta Chir Belg 2006; 106: 107–8.
13. , , , . Late development of dissecting aneurysm following balloon angioplasty of native aortic coarctation. Cathet Cardiovasc Diagn 1995; 36: 226–9.
14. , , , et al. A case of intraoperative acute aortic dissection caused by cannulation into an axillary artery. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 2001; 42: 809–11.
15. , , , et al. Aortic dissection occurring during coronary angioplasty: angiographic and transesophageal echocardiographic findings. Cathet Cardiovasc Diagn 1997; 42: 412–15.
16. , , , et al. Aortic dissection as complication of percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty. Cathet Cardiovasc Diagn 1992; 26: 8–11.
17. , , , . Frequency and explanation of false negative diagnosis of aortic dissection by aortography and transesophageal echocardiography. J Am Coll Cardiol 1995; 25: 1393–401.
18. , , , et al. The diagnosis of thoracic aortic dissection by noninvasive imaging procedures. N Engl J Med 1993; 328: 1–9.
19. , . CT imaging for acute aortic syndrome. Cleve Clin J Med 2008; 75: 7–9, 12, 15–17, 23–4.
20. , . CT and MRI of acute thoracic cardiovascular emergencies. Crit Care Clin 2007; 23: 835–53.
21. , , , et al. Emergency surgical intervention of acute aortic dissection with the rapid diagnosis by transesophageal echocardiography. Circulation 1991; 84 (5 Suppl): III14–19.
22. . Diagnosis of intramural haematomaHeart 2004; 90: 368–71.
23. , , , , . Aortic intramural hemorrhage visualized by transesophageal echocardiography: findings and prognostic implications. J Am Coll Cardiol 1994; 23: 658–64.
24. , , , . Intimal tear without hematoma: an important variant of aortic dissection that can elude current imaging techniques. Circulation 1999; 99: 1331–6.
25. , , , et al. ACC/AHA/ASE 2003 guideline update for the clinical application of echocardiography: summary article. A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (ACC/AHA/ASE Committee to Update the 1997 Guidelines for the Clinical Application of Echocardiography). Circulation 2003; 108: 1146–62.
26. , . Surgery of the thoracic aorta. N Engl J Med 1997; 336: 1876–88.
27. , , , et al. Stroke following coronary artery bypass grafting: a ten-year study. Ann Thorac Surg 1985; 40: 574–81.
28. , , , et al. Diagnosis and management of cerebral perfusion phenomenon during aortic dissection repair by transesophageal Doppler echocardiographic monitoring. J Card Surg 1996; 11: 355–8.
29. , , , et al. Protruding aortic atheromas predict stroke in elderly patients undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass: experience with intraoperative transesophageal echocardiography. J Am Coll Cardiol 1992: 20: 70–7.
30. , , , , . Proximal aortic atheroma: an independent risk factor for cerebral ischemia. Stroke 1995; 26: 218–24.
31. , , , et al. Atherosclerotic disease of the aortic arch and risk of ischemic stroke. N Engl J Med 1994; 331: 1474–9.
32. , , , et al. High risk for vascular events in patients with protruding aortic atheromas: a prospective study. J Am Coll Cardiol 1994; 23: 1085–90.
33. . Atherosclerotic disease of the aortic arch as a risk factor for recurrent ischemic stroke. N Engl J Med 1996; 334: 1216–21.
34. , , , . Assessment of thoracic aortic atheroma by echocardiography: a new classification and estimation of risk of dislodging atheroma during three surgical techniques. Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1998; 4: 72–7.
35. , , , . Transesophageal echocardiography can be used to screen for ascending aortic atherosclerosis. Anesth Analg 1995; 81: 225–8.
36. , , , et al. Thickened intima of the aortic arch is a risk factor for stroke with coronary artery bypass grafting. Ann Thorac Surg 2000; 70: 1565–70.
37. , , , , . Atheromas of the thoracic aorta: a comparison of transesophageal echocardiography and breath-hold gadolinium-enhanced 3-dimensional magnetic resonance angiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 1999; 12: 853–8.
38. , , , . Aortic mural thrombus: an occult source of arterial thrombo-embolism. J Vasc Surg 1986; 4: 473–8.
39. , , , et al. Severity of aortic atheromatous disease diagnosed by transesophageal echocardiography predicts stroke and other outcomes associated with coronary artery surgery: a prospective study. Anesth Analg 1996; 83: 701–8.
40. , , , et al. The intraoperative assessment of ascending aortic atheroma; epiaortic imaging is superior to both transesophageal echocardiography and direct palpation. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 1997; 11: 704–7.
41. , , . An unusual case of vegetative aortitis diagnosed by transesophageal echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2001; 14: 237–9.
42. , . Blunt trauma to the heart and great vessels. N Engl J Med 1997; 336: 626–32.