1. , . Infective endocarditis. Lancet 2004; 363: 139–49.
2. , , , , . Epidemiologic aspects of infective endocarditis in an urban population: a 5-year prospective study. Medicine (Baltimore) 1995; 74: 324–39.
3. , , , et al. Incidence of infective endocarditis in the Delaware Valley, 1988–1990. Am J Cardiol 1995; 76: 933–6.
4. , , , et al. Characteristics of infective endocarditis in France in 1991: a 1-year survey. Eur Heart J 1995; 16: 394–401.
5. , , , et al. Temporal trends in infective endocarditis: a population-based study in Olmsted County, Minnesota. JAMA 2005; 293: 3022–8.
6. , , , et al. Mapping of a first locus for autosomal dominant myxomatous mitral-valve prolapse to chromosome 16p11.2-p12.1. Am J Hum Genet 1999; 65: 1242–51.
7. , , , et al. Natural history of mitral valve prolapse. Am J Cardiol 1995; 75: 1028–32.
8. , , , et al. Relationship between severity of mitral regurgitation and prognosis of mitral valve prolapse: echocardiographic follow-up study. Am Heart J 1996; 132: 348–55.
9. , , . Underlying cardiac lesions in adults with infective endocarditis: the changing spectrum. Am J Med 1987; 82: 681–8.
10. , , , et al. Mechanical or bioprosthetic valves in the elderly: a 20-year comparison. Ann Thorac Surg 2001; 71 (5 Suppl): S257–60.
11. . Personal follow-up of 100 aortic valve replacement patients for 1081 patient years. Ann Chir Gynaecol 1998; 87: 205–12.
12. , , , et al. Clinical features, site of involvement, bacteriologic findings, and outcome of infective endocarditis in intravenous drug users. Arch Intern Med 1995; 155: 1641–8.
13. , , , et al. Infective endocarditis: a prospective study at the end of the twentieth century – new predisposing conditions, new etiologic agents, and still a high mortality. Medicine (Baltimore) 2001; 80: 298–307.
14. , , , et al. Nosocomial endocarditis in the intensive care unit: an analysis of 22 cases. Crit Care Med 2000; 28: 377–82.
15. , , , et al. Catheter-related right-sided endocarditis in bone marrow transplant recipients. Rev Infect Dis 1990; 12: 250–7.
16. , . Hospitalizations for bacterial endocarditis after initiation of chronic dialysis in the United States. Nephron 2002; 91: 203–9.
17. , , , et al. Changing patient characteristics and the effect on mortality in endocarditis. Arch Intern Med 2002; 162: 90–4.
18. , , . Pathogenesis of streptococcal and staphylococcal endocarditis. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2002; 16: 297–318.
19. , , , et al. Staphylococcus aureus induces platelet aggregation via a fibrinogen-dependent mechanism which is independent of principal platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa fibrinogen-binding domains. Infect Immun 1995; 63: 3634–41.
20. , , , et al. The platelet interactivity phenotype of Streptococcus sanguis influences the course of experimental endocarditis. Infect Immun 1992; 60: 4809–18.
21. , , . New criteria for diagnosis of infective endocarditis: utilization of specific echocardiographic findings. Am J Med 1994; 96: 200–9.
22. , , , . Evaluation of new clinical criteria for the diagnosis of infective endocarditis. Am J Med 1994; 96: 211–19.
23. , , , et al. Native valve infective endocarditis in elderly and younger adult patients: comparison of clinical features and outcomes with use of the Duke criteria and the Duke Endocarditis Database. Clin Infect Dis 1998; 26: 1165–8.
24. , , , , . An evaluation of the Duke criteria in 25 pathologically confirmed cases of prosthetic valve endocarditis. Clin Infect Dis 1997; 25: 1401–3.
25. , , , et al. Evaluation of the Duke criteria in 93 episodes of prosthetic valve endocarditis: could sensitivity be improved?Arch Intern Med 2000; 160: 1185–91.
26. , , , et al. Negative predictive value of the Duke criteria for infective endocarditis. Am J Cardiol 1996; 77: 403–7.
27. , , , et al. Value and limitations of the Duke criteria for the diagnosis of infective endocarditis. J Am Coll Cardiol 1999; 33: 2023–9.
28. , , , et al. An assessment of the usefulness of the Duke criteria for diagnosing active infective endocarditis. Clin Infect Dis 1997; 24: 1185–90.
29. , , , et al. Proposed modifications to the Duke criteria for the diagnosis of infective endocarditis. Clin Infect Dis 2000; 30: 633–8.
30. , . Endocarditis due to rare and fastidious bacteria. Clin Microbiol Rev 2001; 14: 177–207.
31. , . Diagnostic methods current best practices and guidelines for identification of difficult-to-culture pathogens in infective endocarditis. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2002; 16: 377–92.
32. , , , et al. Guidelines on prevention, diagnosis and treatment of infective endocarditis executive summary: the task force on infective endocarditis of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur Heart J 2004; 25: 267–76.
33. , , , et al. Infective endocarditis: diagnosis, antimicrobial therapy, and management of complications: a statement for healthcare professionals from the Committee on Rheumatic Fever, Endocarditis, and Kawasaki Disease, Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young, and the Councils on Clinical Cardiology, Stroke, and Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia, American Heart Association: endorsed by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Circulation 2005; 111: e394–434.
34. , , , et al. ACC/AHA 2008 guideline update on valvular heart disease: focused update on infective endocarditis: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines: endorsed by the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, and Society of Thoracic Surgeons. Circulation 2008; 118: 887–96.
35. . Prevention of infective endocarditis. N Engl J Med 1995; 332: 38–44.
36. , , , et al. Dental and cardiac risk factors for infective endocarditis: a population-based, case-control study. Ann Intern Med 1998; 129: 761–9.
37. , , , . Epidemiology of bacterial endocarditis in the Netherlands, 1. Patient characteristics. Arch Intern Med 1992; 152: 1863–8.
38. , , , . Epidemiology of bacterial endocarditis in the Netherlands, II. Antecedent procedures and use of prophylaxis. Arch Intern Med 1992; 152: 1869–73.
39. , , . Antibiotic prophylaxis for infective endocarditis from an international group of experts towards a European consensus. Eur Heart J 1995; 16 (Suppl B): 126–31.
40. , , , et al. Prevention of bacterial endocarditis: recommendations by the American Heart Association. JAMA 1997; 277: 1794–801.
41. , . Echocardiography in infective endocarditis. Heart 2004; 90: 614–17.
42. , , , et al. Transesophageal echocardiography in the diagnosis of infective endocarditis. Chest 1994; 105: 377–82.
43. , , , , . Diagnostic value of transesophageal compared with transthoracic echocardiography in infective endocarditis. J Am Coll Cardiol 1991; 18: 391–7.
44. , , , et al. Risk of embolization after institution of antibiotic therapy for infective endocarditis. Am Coll Cardiol 2002; 39: 1489–95.
45. , , , et al. Echocardiography predicts embolic events in infective endocarditis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2001; 37: 1069–76.
46. , , , et al. Improvement in the diagnosis of abscesses associated with endocarditis by transesophageal echocardiography. N Eng J Med 1991; 324: 795–800.
47. , , , et al. Periannular extension of infective endocarditis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002; 39: 1204–11.
48. . Infective endocarditis 2006: indications for surgery. Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc 2007; 118: 187–98.
49. , , , et al. The presence of infection-related antiphospholipid antibodies in infective endocarditis determines a major risk factor for embolic events. J Am Coll Cardiol 1999; 33: 1365–71.
50. , , , et al. Risk of embolism and death in infective endocarditis: prognostic value of echocardiography: a prospective multicenter study. Circulation 2005; 112: 69–75.
51. , , , . Impact of valve surgery on 6-month mortality in adults with complicated, left-sided native valve endocarditis: a propensity analysis. JAMA 2003; 290: 3207–14.
52. , , , et al. Valve replacement in patients with endocarditis and acute neurologic deficit. Ann Thorac Surg 1996; 61: 1125–9.
53. , , , et al. Long-term results of mitral valve repair in active infective endocarditis. Circulation 2005; 111: 2532–6.
54. , , , et al. Homograft reconstruction of the aortic root for endocarditis with periannular abscess: a 17-year study. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2005; 28: 69–75.
55. , , , , . Staphylococcus aureus prosthetic valve endocarditis. Optimal management, and risk factors for death. Clin Infect Dis 1998; 26: 1302–9.