1. , , , , , , . The incidence of awareness during anesthesia: a multicenter United States study. Anesth Analg 2004;99:833–9.
2. , , , , , . Conscious awareness during anaesthesia: patients’ perceptions, emotions, cognition and reactions. Br J Anaesth 1998;80:133–9.
3. , . Awareness under anaesthesia: the patients’ point of view. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care 1993;21:837–43.
4. , , . Awareness and recall during general anesthesia. Facts and feelings. Anesthsiology 1993;79:454–64.
5. , , , . Awareness during anesthesia: a closed claims analysis. Anesthesiology 1999;90:1053–61.
6. , , . The claims for compensation for awareness with recall during general anaesthesia in Finland. Acta Anaesth Scand 1997;41:356–9.
7. , , , , . Bispectral index monitoring to prevent awareness during anaesthesia: the B-aware randomized controlled trial. Lancet 2004;363:1757–63.
8. . Anesthesiology 2006;104:847–64.
9. , , . Risk assessment and control require analysis of both outcomes and process of care (editorial). Anesthesiology 2004;101:815–17.
10. , . Loss of recent memory after bilateral hippocampal lesion. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiat 1957;20:411–21.
11. . Insufficient anaesthesia. Br Med J 1950;1:247–8.
12. . Cardiac arrest following regional anesthesia with etidocaine or bupivacaine. Anesthesiology 1979;51:285–7.
14. , , , . On awareness during anesthesia: risk factors, causes and sequelae. A review of reported cases in the literature. Anesth Analg 2009;108:527–35.
17. , , , . Awareness during anaesthesia: a prospective case study. Lancet 2000;355:707–11.
18. , , , et al. Alpha 5GABAA receptors mediate the amnesic but not sedative-hypnotic effects of the general anesthetic etomidate. J Neurosci 2006;26:3713–20.
19. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Enhanced learning and memory and altered GABAergic synaptic transmission in mice lacking the alpha 5 subunit of the GABAA receptor. J Neurosci 2002;22:5572–80.
20. , , , , , , et al. Identification of a novel, selective GABAA α5 receptor inverse agonist which enhances cognition. J Med Chem 2003;46:2227–40.
21. , , , , , , et al. An orally bioavailable, functionally selective inverse agonist at the benzodiazepine site of GABAA α5 receptors with cognition enhancing properties. J Med Chem 2004;47:5829–32.
22. , , , , . Blockade of alcohol's amnestic activity in humans by an α5 subtype benzodiazepine receptor inverse agonist. Neuropharmacology 2007;53:810–20.
23. , , , , , , , . Anesthetic requirement is increased in redheads. Anesthesiology 2004;101:279–83.
24. , , , , , , . Association of ethnicity with the minimum alveolar concentration of sevoflurane. Anesthesiology 2007;107:9–14.
25. , . GABAA receptor subtypes underlying general anesthesia. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2008;90:105–12.
26. , , , . Rapidly developing tolerance to acute exposure to anesthetic agents. Anesthesiology 1979;50:496–500.
27. , , . Strain differences in the antinociceptive effect of nitrous oxide on the tail flick test in rats. Anesth Analg 2000;90:195–99.
28. , , . Tolerance of mice to nitrous oxide. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1979;211:317–25.
29. , , . Acute tolerance to nitrous oxide in humans. Pain 1992;51:367–73.
30. , . Nitrous oxide-oxygen-relaxant anesthesia in alcoholics: a retrospective study. Acta Anaesth Scand(Suppl) 1973;53:68–75.
31. , . The need for halothane supplementation of N2 O-O2 relaxant anesthesia in chronic alcoholics. Acta Anaesth Scand 1977;21:17–23.
32. , , , . Use of fentanyl infusion in the intensive care unit: tolerance to its anesthetic effects? Anesthesiology 1983;59:245–8.
33. , . The effect of population habits on side effects and narcotic requirements during high-dose fentanyl anaesthesia. Can Anaesth Soc J 1984;31:368–76.
34. , , . Inhaled anesthetics. In: , , eds. Basics of Anesthesia. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Churchill Livingstone, 2007:77–96.
35. . Phillip Gett memorial lecture: awareness in anaesthesia. Anaesth Intens Care 1975;3:334–40.
36. , , . Serial failure of diprifuser infusion pumps. Anaesthesia 2001;56:596–7.
37. , , , . Adverse anesthetic outcomes arising from gas delivery equipment: a closed claims analysis. Anesthesiology 1997;87:741–8.
38. , . Recall after total intravenous anaesthesia due to an equipment misuse. Can J Anaesth 1997;44:73–7.
39. . Age, minimum alveolar anesthetic concentration, and minimum alveolar anesthetic concentration–awake. Anesth Analg 2001;93:947–53.
40. , , , , , , , . Impact of age on both BIS values and EEG bispectrum during anaesthesia with sevoflurane in children. Br J Anaesth 2005;94:810–20.
41. , , , , , . The impact of age on bispectral index values and EEG bispectrum during anaesthesia with desflurane and halothane in children. Br J Anaesth 2006;96:480–5.
42. , , , , , , . Awareness during anesthesia in children: a prospective cohort study. Anesth Analg 2005;100:653–61.
43. , , , , , . Intra-operative awareness in children: the value of an interview adapted to their cognitive abilities. Anaesthesia 2007;62:778–89.
44. , , , , , , . Detecting awareness in children by using an auditory intervention. Anesthesiology 2008;109:619–24
45. , , . A simple study of awareness and dreaming during anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 1970;42:535–42.
46. , , , . Incidence of awareness with recall during general anaesthesia. Anaesthesiology 1991;46:435–7.
47. , , , , , , . Women emerge from general anesthesia with propofol/alfentanil/nitrous oxide faster than men. Anesthesiology 1999;90:1283–7.
48. , , et al. Gender and recovery after general anesthesia combined with neuromuscular blocking drugs. Anesth Analg 2006;102:291–7.
49. . Awareness and recall. In: , ed. Neurological and psychological complications of surgery and anesthesia. Intern Anesthesiol Clin 1986;24:75–99.
50. . Incidence and risk factors for awareness during anaesthesia. Best Practice and Research Clinical Anaesthesiology 2007;21:327–43.
51. . Endocrine and nutritional disease. In: , , eds. Basics of Anesthesia. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Churchill Livingstone, 2007:437–52.
52. , , , . Predicting difficult intubation in apparently normal patients. Anesthesiology 2005;103:429–37.
53. . Airway management. In: , ed. Miller's Anesthesia. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Churchill Livingstone, 2005:1617–52.
54. , , , . Effects of isoflurane and nitrous oxide in subanesthetic concentrations on memory and responsiveness in volunteers. Anesthesiology 1992:77:888–98.
55. , , , , , . Clinical pharmacology of nitrous oxide: and argument for its continued use. Anesth Analg 1990;71:575–85.
56. , , , , , . Auditory evoked responses and learning and awareness during general anesthesia. Acta Anaesth Scand 2000;44:133–43.
57. , , , , , , , , , , , , . Anesthesia awareness and the bispectral index. N Engl J Med 2008;358:1097–108.
58. . The biological basis of individuality. In: Search of Memory. New York: WW Norton, 2006:210–18, 247–76.
59. . Memory when the state of consciousness is known: studies of anesthesia with the isolated forearm technique. In: , ed. Awareness during Anesthesia. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2001:129–43.
60. , , , . Recovery of consciousness after thiopental or propofol. Anesthesiology 1997;86:613–19.
61. , . Detection of awareness with the bispectral index: two case reports. Anesthesiology 2002;96:421–3.
62. , . Recall during intermittent propofol anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 1996;76:699–701.
63. , , , , , , , , , . Sleep disturbances after posterior scoliosis surgery with an intraoperative wake-up test using remifentanil. Anesthesiology 2008;109:629–41.
64. . Does opioid “anesthesia” exist? (editorial). Anesthesiology 1990;73:1–4.
65. , . Monitoring consciousness: the current status of EEG based depth of anaesthesia monitors. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesth 2007;21:313–25.
66. , . Entropy is blind to nitrous oxide. Can we see why? (editorial). Br J Anaesth 2004;92:159–61.
67. , , , , , , , , . A multicenter study of bispectral electroencephalogram analysis for monitoring anesthetic effect. Anesth Analg 1997;84:891–9.
68. , , , , , , . When is bispectral index of 60 too low? Rational processed electroencephalographic targets are dependent on the sedative-opioid ratio. Anesthesiology 2007;106:472–83.
69. , , . Anesthesia awareness and the bispectral index (correspondence). N Engl J Med 2008;359:428.
70. , , . Anesthesia awareness and the bispectral index. N Engl J Med 2008;359:427–8.
71. , . Benzodiazepines and human memory: a review. Anesthesiology 1990;72:926–38.
72. , , . Double-blind randomized controlled trial to determine extent of amnesia with midazolam given immediately before general anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 2005;94:300–5.
73. , , , . The comparative amnesic effects of midazolam, propofol, thiopental, and fentanyl at equi-sedative concentrations. Anesthesiology 1997;87:749–64.
74. , , . Drug-induced amnesia is a separate phenomenon from sedation. Electrophysiologic evidence. Anesthesiology 2001;95:896–907.
75. , , , . Midazolam: pharmacology and uses. Anesthesiology 1985;62:310–24.
76. , , , . Induction of anesthesia with midazolam decreases halothane MAC in humans. Anesthesiology 1982;57:238–41.
77. , , . Interaction of subanaesthetic concentration of isoflurane with midazolam: effects on responsiveness, learning and memory. Br J Anaesth 1998;80:581–7.
78. , , , , . Effects of benzodiazepines on mid-latency auditory evoked potentials. Can J Anaesth 1993;40:1148–54.
79. , , . Alfentanil-midazolam anaesthesia: protection against awareness. In: , , , eds. Memory and Awareness in Anaesthesia. Amsterdam: Swets and Zeitlinger, 1990:281–5.
80. . Midazolam-alfentanil: an anaesthetic? An investigation using isolated forearm technique. Br J Anaesth 1993;70:42–6.
81. . General surgery and anesthesia: the emotional experience. In: , ed. The Psychological Experience of Surgery. New York: John Wiley, 1987:1–25.
82. . Incidents of auditory perception during general anesthesia with traumatic sequelae. Med J Australia 1987;146:44–6.
83. , , , . Midazolam and awareness with recall during total intravenous anaesthesia. Can J Anaesth 1996;43:946–53.
84. , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Awareness with recall during general anaesthesia: a prospective observational evaluation of 4001 patients. Br J Anaesth 2008;101:178–85.
85. , , , . Recall of intraoperative events after general anaesthesia and cardiopulmonary bypass. Can J Anaesth 1993;40:922–6.
86. , , . Awareness and recall in outpatient anesthesia. Anesth Analg 2002;95:72–7.
87. , . The amnesic properties of hyoscine and atropine in preanaesthetic medication. Anaesthesia 1962;17:331–6.
88. , . Effects of diazepam and scopolamine on storage, retrieval and organizational processes in memory. Psychopharmacologia (Berl) 1975;44:257–62.
89. , . The effects and interactions of scopolamine, physostigmine and methamphetamine on human memory. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 1979;10:205–10.
90. , , , . Ketamine: behavioral effects of subanesthetic doses. J Clin Psychopharm 1985;5:70–7.
91. , , , , , , , , . Subanesthetic effects of noncompetitive NMDA antagonist, ketamine, in humans. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1994;51:199–214.
92. , , , , , . Psychedelic effects of ketamine in healthy volunteers. Anesthesiology 1998;88:82–8.
93. , , . Ketamine – its pharmacology and therapeutic uses. Anesthesiology 1982;56:119–36.
94. . Lifting the fog around anesthesia. Sci Am 2007;296:54–61.
95. , . , , . Epidural lidocaine delays arousal from isoflurane anesthesia. Anesth Analg 1994;79:368–72.
96. , , . Does nitrous oxide antagonize isoflurane-induced suppression of learning? Anesthesiology 1993;79:724–32.
97. , . Nitrous oxide produces a non-linear reduction in thiopentone requirements. Br J Anaesth 1996;77:265–7.
98. , , . Does nitrous oxide antagonize sevoflurane-induced hypnosis? Br J Anaesth 1997;79:465–8.
99. , , . Omitting nitrous oxide in general anaesthesia: meta-analysis of intraoperative awareness and postoperative emesis in randomized controlled trials. Br J Anaesth 1996;76:186–93.
100. , , , . Intraoperative awareness in a regional medical system: a review of 3 years’ data. Anesthesiology 2007;106:269–74.
101. . Anesthesia awareness and the bispectral index. N Engl J Med 2008;359:430.
102. , . Memory and awareness during anesthesia. Br J Anaesth 2008; 100:742–4.
103. . Target-controlled drug delivery: progress toward an intravenous “vaporizer” and automated anesthetic administration. Anesthesiology 2003;99:1214–19.
104. , , . On-line monitoring of end-tidal propofol concentration in anesthetized patients. Anesthesiology 2007;106:659–64.
105. , , , , , , , , , , , . Real-time monitoring of propofol in expired air in humans undergoing total intravenous anesthesia. Anesthesiology 2007;106:665–74.
106. , . Target-controlled infusions for intravenous anesthetics: surfing USA not! (editorial). Anesthesiology 2003;99:1039–41.
107. , , , , , . Pharmacodynamics of alfentanil as a supplement to propofol or nitrous oxide for lower abdominal surgery in female patients. Anesthesiology 1993;78:1036–45.
108. , , , . Comparison of a computer-assisted infusion versus intermittent bolus administration of alfentanil as a supplement to nitrous oxide for lower abdominal surgery. Anesthesiology 1988;68:851–61.
109. , . Awareness during total i.v. anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 1993;71:782–7.
110. , , , . Incidence of awareness in total i.v. anaesthesia based on propofol, alfentanil and neuromuscular blockade. Acta Anaesth Scand 1997;41:978–84.
111. , . Recall of surgery for major trauma. Anesthesiology 1984;61:6–9.
112. , . Anesthesia for obstetrics. In , ed. Anesthesia. Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2005:2307–44.
113. , , , , . Adequacy of general anesthesia for cesarean section. Anesth Analg 1993;77:84–8.
114. , , . Overpressure isoflurane at caesarean section: a study of arterial isoflurane concentrations. Br J Anaesth 1994;72:122–4.
115. , , , . Memory formation during general anesthesia for emergency cesarean section. Anesthesiology 2000;92:1029–34.
116. , . Myocardial ischemia revisited. Anesthesiology 2006;105:214–16.
117. , , , , , . Intraoperative awareness in fast-track cardiac anesthesia. Anesthesiology 1998;89:1068–73.
118. , . Anesthesia for cardiac surgery procedures. In , ed. Anesthesia. Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2005:1941–2004.
119. . Liability associated with awareness during anesthesia. ASA Newsletter 2006;70:8–10.
120. , . Awareness during bronchoscopy. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 1987;69:45–7.
121. . Awareness during bronchoscopy (correspondence). Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England 1987;69:248.
122. , , , , . Awareness with recall during general anesthesia: incidence and risk factors. Anesth and Analg 1998;86:1084–9.
123. , . Medicolegal consequences of awareness during anesthesia. In: , ed. Awareness during Anesthesia. Oxford: Butterworth Heinmann, 2001:155–72.
124. , , . Awareness under general anesthesia. J Med Assoc Thailand 2002;85(Suppl 3):S948–55.
125. , , . Recall of awareness during cardiac anesthesia: influence of feedback information to the anaesthesiologist. Acta Anaesth Scand 1996;40:554–60.