1. . A review of mentation in REM and NREM sleep: “covert” REM sleep as a possible reconciliation of two opposing models. Behavioural Brain Sciences 2000;23:851–66.
2. , , , . Factors of home dream recall: a structural equation model. J Sleep Res 2003;12:133–41.
3. , . The Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques, and Snoring System for Sleep Stage of Human Subjects. Washington, DC: Public Health Service, US Government Printing Office, 1968.
4. . Dreaming: An Introduction to the Science of Sleep. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002.
5. , , , , , . Sleep in the platypus. Neuroscience 1999;91:391–400.
6. . The reinterpretation of dreams: an evolutionary hypothesis of the function of dreaming. Behavioural and Brain Sciences 2000;23:877–901.
7. , , , . Sleep induced changes in associative memory. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 1999;11:182–93.
8. , , , . Dreaming associated with anaesthesia: the influence of morphine premedication and two volatile adjuvants. Br J Anaesth 1971;43:172–8.
9. , . Anaesthetists' practice of sedation for colonoscopy. Anaesth Intensive Care 2008;36:436–41.
10. , , , , . Dreaming in patients in the B-Unaware Trial. Anesth 2007, A727(abstract).
11. , , . Dreaming and recall during sedation for colonoscopy. Anaesth Intensive Care 2008;36:685–90.
12. , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Awareness with recall during general anaesthesia: a prospective observational evaluation of 4001 patients. Br J Anaesth 2008;101:178–85.
13. , , . Intraoperative dreams reported after general anaesthesia are not early interpretations of delayed awareness. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2008;52:805–9.
14. , , . BIS does not predict dreams reported after anaesthesia. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2008;52:810–14.
15. , , , , , . A prospective survey of awareness and recall associated with general anaesthesia for caesarean section. Int J Obstet Anesth 2008; 17:298–303.
16. , , , , . Dreams recall and auditory evoked potentials during propofol anaesthesia. NeuroReport 2007;18:823–6.
17. , , . Scopolamine prevents dreams during general anesthesia. Anesthesiology 2007;106:952–5.
18. , , , , . Dreaming during anesthesia and anesthetic depth in elective surgery patients: a prospective cohort study. Anesthesiology 2007;106:33–42.
19. , , . Dreaming during anaesthesia in children: incidence, nature and associations. Anaesthesia 2005;60:854–61.
20. , , , , , . Dreaming during anaesthesia in patients at high risk of awareness. Anaesthesia 2005;60:239–44.
21. , , , , , . A randomised controlled trial of BIS monitoring to prevent awareness during anaesthesia: the B-Aware Trial. Lancet 2004;363:1757–63.
22. , , , , , , . The incidence of awareness during anesthesia: a multicenter United States study. Anesth Analg 2004;99: 833–9.
23. , , , , , , , . Recollection of dreams after short general anaesthesia: influence on patient anxiety and satisfaction. Eur J Anaesthesiol 2003;20:282–8.
24. . The effect of variable-dose diazepam on dreaming and emergence phenomena in 400 cases of ketamine-fentanyl anaesthesia. Anaesthesia 2003;58:904–10.
25. , , , , De . Relationship between awareness and middle latency auditory evoked responses during surgical anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 2003;90:630–5.
26. , , , , , . Auditory evoked responses and learning and awareness during general anaesthesia. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2000;44:133–43.
27. , , , , . Awareness with recall during general anesthesia: incidence and risk factors. Anesth Analg 1998;86:1084–9.
28. , , , . Incidence of awareness in total i.v. Anaesthesia based on propofol, alfentanil and neuromuscular blockade. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 1997;41:978–84.
29. , , , . Dreams, images and emotions associated with propofol anaesthesia. Anaesthesia 1997;52:750–5.
30. , , , . The effects of midazolam on propofol-induced anesthesia: propofol dose requirements, mood profiles, and perioperative dreams. Anesth Analg 1997;85:553–9.
31. , , . Incidence and quality of dreaming during anaesthesia with propofol compared with enflurane. Anaesthetist 1996;45:146–53.
32. , , , . Dreaming and anaesthesia: total iv anaesthesia with propofol vs. balanced volatile anaesthesia with enflurane. Eur J Anaesthesiol 1992;9:331–3.
33. , , , . Incidence of awareness with recall during general anaesthesia. Anaesthesia 1991;46.
34. , , . Detecting awareness during general anaesthetic caesarean section. Anaesthesia 1990;45:279–84.
35. . Propofol and dreaming. Anaesthesia 1989;44:266–7.
36. , , . Patient-administered anxiolysis – a pilot study. Anaesth Intens Care 1989;17:144–50.
37. , , . Perioperative dreaming and awareness in children. Anaesthesia 1988;43:560–2.
38. , , . Perioperative dreaming in paediatric patients who receive suxamethonium. Anaesthesia 1988;43:104–6.
39. . Propofol infusion technique for maintenance of anesthesia for short procedures. Anaesthetist 1988;37:187–92.
40. , , , , . Wakefulness during cesarean section after anesthesia induction with ketamine, thiopental or ketamine and thiopental combinations. Anesth Analg 1986;65:723–8.
41. . Awareness during operative obstetrics under general anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 1971;43:179–82.
42. , . Effect of morphine-diazepam on signs of anesthesia, awareness and dreams of patients under N2 O for cesarean section. Anesth Analg 1976;55:702–6.
43. , , . Awareness, dreams, and hallucinations associated with general anesthesia. Anesth Analg 1975;54:609–17.
44. , . Awareness and dreaming during anaesthesia in a paediatric hospital. Anaesth Intensive Care 1973;1:407–14.
45. , , . A simple study of awareness and dreaming during anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 1970;42:535–42.
46. , , . Gastric fluid volume and pH in elective inpatients. Part I. Coffee or orange juice versus overnight fast. Can J Anaesth 1988;35:12–15.
47. . Awareness during surgery. Br J Anaesth 1960;33:463–9.
48. . Dream recall frequency, attitude towards dreams and openness to experience. Dreaming 2003;13:143–53.
49. , , . Sex differences in speed of emergence and quality of recovery after anaesthesia: A cohort study. BMJ 2001;322:710–11.
50. , , , , , . Sleep problems in a very old population: drug use and clinical correlates J GerontolA Biol Sci Med Sci 2002 57:M236–40.
51. , , , , , . Sleep complaints among elderly persons – an epidemiologic study of 3 communities. Sleep and Biological Rhythms 1995;18:425–32.
52. . Hallucinations after propofol (letter). Anaesthesia 1988;43:170.
53. , , . Arousal from propofol. Anaesthesia 1987;42:1128–9.
54. , . An ususual emergence after total intravenous anaesthesia. Anaesthesia 1989;44:928–9.
55. , , . Use and efficacy of low dose ketamine in the management of acute postoperative pain: a review of current techniques and outcomes. Pain 1999;82:111–25.
56. , . Antidepressants and sleep: a qualitative review of the literature. Drugs 2005;65:927–47.
57. , , , , , . SSRI treatment suppresses dream recall frequency but increases subjective dream intensity in normal subjects. J Sleep Res 2001;10:129–42.
58. , . Total intravenous anaesthesia using propofol infusion – 50 consecutive cases. Anaesth Intensive Care 1988;16:150–7.
59. , , . Maternal and neonatal responses related to volatile agent used to maintain anaesthesia at caesarean section. Br J Anaesth 1985;57:482–7.
60. , . Hallucinations after propofol (letter). Anaesthesia 1988;43:170–1.
61. , . Dreaming during anaesthesia in adult patients. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 2007;21:403–14.
62. , , , , , , . Cortical processing of complex auditory stimuli during alterations of consciousness with the general anesthetic propofol. Anesthesiology 2006;104:448–57.
63. , , , , . Bispectral index values and spectral edge frequency at different stages of physiologic sleep. Anesth Analg 2002;94:125–9.
64. , , , . The Bispectral Index: a measure of depth of sleep? Anesth Analg 1999;88:659–61.
65. , , , . Halothane anaesthesia causes decreased acetylcholine release in the pontine reticular formation and increased EEG spindles. NeuroReport 1994;5:577–80.
66. , . Sleep neurobiology: relevance for mechanistic studies of anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 1994;72:506–8.
67. , , , , . Recovery from sleep deprivation occurs during propofol anaesthesia. Anesthesiology 2004;100:1419–26.
68. , , , , , , . Awareness during anesthesia in children: a prospective cohort study. Anesth Analg 2005;100:653–61.