1. . Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 3rd edn. Washington DC: APA, 1980.
2. , , , . Impairments in pure and comorbid generalized anxiety disorder and major depression at 12 months in two national surveys. Am J Psychiatry 1999; 156, 1915–23.
3. . Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edn. Washington DC: APA, 1994.
4. , , , et al. One year prevalence of psychiatric disorder in Ontarians 15 to 64 years of age. Can J Psychiatry 1996; 41: 559–63.
5. , , DSM-IV generalized anxiety disorder in the Australian National Survey of Mental Health and Well-being. Psychol Med 2002; 32: 649–59.
6. , , , DSM-III-R generalized anxiety disorder in the National Comorbidity Survey. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1994; 51: 355–64.
7. , , , et al. Generalized anxiety disorder (ICD-10) in primary care from a cross-cultural perspective: a valid diagnostic entry?Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 2000; 101: 29–36.
8. , , , et al. Mental disorders and disability among patients in a primary care group practice. Am J Psychiatry 1997; 154: 1734–40.
9. , , , et al. High prevalence of mental disorders in primary care. J Affect Disord 2004; 78: 49–55.
10. , , , Phenomenology and course of generalised anxiety disorder. Br J Psychiatry 1996; 168: 308–13.
11. , , , Factors predicting the clinical course of generalised anxiety disorder. Br J Psychiatry 2000; 176: 544–9.
12. , , , et al. Comorbidity of DSM-III-R major depressive disorder in general population: results from the US National Comorbidity Survey. Br J Psychiatry 1996; 168: 17–30.
13. , , , Preliminary exploration of worry: some characteristics and processes. Behav Res Ther 1983; 21: 9–16.
14. A metacognitive model and therapy for generalised anxiety disorder. Clin Psychol Psychother 1999; 6: 86–96.
15. Meta-cognition and worry: a cognitive model of generalised anxiety disorder. Behav Cogn Psychother 1995; 23: 301–20.
16. , Qualitative dimensions of normal worry and normal obsessions: a comparative study. Behav Res Ther 1994; 32: 867–70.
17. , Experience and appraisal of worry among high worriers with and without generalized anxiety disorder. Behav Res Ther 2004; 42: 1469–82.
18. , , , . Generalized anxiety disorder: a preliminary test of a conceptual model. Behav Res Ther 1998; 36(2): 215–26.
19. Progressive Relaxation. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 1938.
20. Applied relaxation: description of a coping technique and review of controlled studies. Behav Res Ther 1987; 25: 397–409.
21. Systematic desensitization as training in self control. J Consult Clin Psychol 197; 137: 228–34.
22. , , , A component analysis of cognitive behavioral therapy for generalized anxiety disorder and the role of interpersonal problems. J Consult Clin Psychol 2002; 70(2): 288–98.
23. , , Anxiety Disorder and Phobias: A Cognitive Perspective. New York: Basic Books, 1985.
24. . Anxiety (amended): management of anxiety (panic disorder, with or without agoraphobia, and generalized anxiety disorder) in adults in primary, secondary or community care. NICE Clinical Guideline 22 (amended). London: NICE, 2007.
25. , Cognitive therapy of anxiety disorders. J Consult Clin Psychol 1993; 61(2): 248–60.
26. , , , Cognitive behavioural and pharmacological treatment of generalized anxiety disorder: a preliminary meta- analysis. Behav Ther 1997; 28: 285–305.
27. Meta-analysis of cognitive-behavioral treatments for generalized anxiety disorder: a comparison with pharmacotherapy. Psychol Bull 2005; 131(5): 785–95.
28. , . Psychotherapy for generalized anxiety disorder. J Clin Psychiatry 2001; 62 (suppl 11): 37–42.
29. , . Recovery rates in generalised anxiety disorder following psychological therapy: an analysis of clinically significant change in STAI-T across outcome studies since 1990. Psychol Med 1999; 29: 1425–34.
30. , , , . Psychological therapies for generalised anxiety disorder. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007; 1: CD001848.
31. , , , . A meta-analysis of CBT for pathological worry among clients with GAD. J Anxiety Disord 2008; 22(1): 108–16.
32. , , , . Development and validation of the Penn State Worry Questionnaire. Behav Res Ther 1990; 28: 487–95.
33. , , . Cognitive-behavioral therapy for generalized anxiety disorder with integrations from interpersonal and experiental therapies. CNS Spectr 2003; 8(5): 382–9.
34. , . A meta-analytic review of adult cognitive-behavioral treatment outcome across the anxiety disorders. J Nerv Ment Dis 2007; 195(6): 521–31.
35. , . Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for adult anxiety disorders: a meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials. J Clin Psychiatry 2008; 69: 621–32.
36. , A multi-dimensional meta-analysis of treatments for depression, panic and generalized anxiety disorder: an empirical examination of the status of empirically supported therapies. J Consult Clin Psychol 2001; 69: 875–99.
, , , , . Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (Form Y Self-evaluation Questionnaire)
. Palo Alto, CA
: Consulting Psychologists Press
38. , . Clinical significance: a statistical approach to defining meaningful change in psychotherapy research. J Consult Clin Psychol 1991; 59(1): 12–19.
39. The effectiveness of psychological treatments for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. In , , eds. Worry and Psychological Disorders: Assessment and Treatment. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 2006.
40. , , , et al. A pilot randomized trial of metacognitive therapy vs applied relaxation in the treatment of adults with generalized anxiety disorder. Behav Res Ther 2010; doi:10.1016/j.brat.2009.11.013.
41. , , , et al. Group cognitive-behavioural therapy for generalized anxiety disorder: treatment outcome and long-term follow-up. J Consult Clin Psychol 2003; 71(4): 821–5.
42. . Metacognitive Therapy for Anxiety and Depression. New York: Guilford Press, 2008.
43. , . Attention and Emotion: A Clinical Perspective. Hove UK: Erlbaum, 1994.
44. . The metacognitive model of worry and generalized anxiety disorder. In , , eds. Worry and its Psychological Disorders: Theory, Assessment and Treatment. Chichester, UK: Wiley. 2006, pp. 179–99.
45. . Cognitive Therapy of Anxiety Disorders: A Practice Manual and Conceptual Guide. Chichester, UK: Wiley, 1997.