1. , Neuropathology and general autopsy findings in nondemented aged subjects. Clin Neuropathol 2012;31:87–98.
2. , , , et al. Frontal lobe white matter hyperintensities and neurofibrillary pathology in the oldest old. Neurology 2010;75:2071–2078.
3. , , , et al. The diagnosis of dementia due to Alzheimer’s disease: recommendations from the National Institute on Aging–Alzheimer’s Association Work Groups on diagnostic guidelines for Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimers Dement 2011;7:263–269.
4. , , , et al. The diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment due to Alzheimer’s disease: recommendations from the National Institute on Aging–Alzheimer’s Association Work Groups on diagnostic guidelines for Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimers Dement 2011;7:270–279.
5. , , , et al. Research criteria for the diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease: revising the NINCDS–ADRDA criteria. Lancet Neurol 2007;6:734–746.
6. , , , et al. Revising the definition of Alzheimer’s disease: a new lexicon. Lancet Neurol 2010;9:1118–11127.
7. , , , et al. Vascular dementia: diagnostic criteria for research studies. Report of the NINDS–AIREN international workshop. Neurology 1993;43:250–260.
8. , , Potentially reversible conditions in 1000 consecutive memory clinic patients. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2002;73:390–394.
9. , , , et al. Prevalence of dementia and major subtypes in Europe: a collaborative study of population-based cohorts. Neurologic Diseases in the Elderly Research Group. Neurology 2000;54:S4–S9.
10. , , , et al. Relative frequencies of Alzheimer disease, Lewy body, vascular and frontotemporal dementia, and hippocampal sclerosis in the State of Florida Brain Bank. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 2002;16:203–212.
11. . Pathological correlates of late-onset dementia in a multicentre, community-based population in England and Wales. Lancet 2001;357:169–175.
12. , , , et al. Vascular cognitive impairment. Lancet Neurol 2003;2:89–98.
13. , , , et al. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke–Canadian Stroke Network vascular cognitive impairment harmonization standards. Stroke 2006;37:2220–2241.
14. , , , et al. Vascular Contributions to Cognitive Impairment and Dementia: a Statement for Healthcare Professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke 2011;42:2672–2713.
15. , , , et al. Research criteria for subcortical vascular dementia in clinical trials. J Neural Transm Suppl 2000;59:23–30.
16. , , , et al. Small vessel versus large vessel vascular dementia: risk factors and MRI findings. J Neurol 2008;255:1644–1651.
17. , , , , Identification of Alzheimer and vascular lesion thresholds for mixed dementia. Brain 2007;130:2830–2836.
18. , , , , Cerebral infarctions and the likelihood of dementia from Alzheimer disease pathology. Neurology 2004;62:1148–1155.
19. , , , , Cerebrovascular disease and threshold for dementia in the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease. Lancet 1999;354:919–920.
20. , , , et al. Brain infarction and the clinical expression of Alzheimer disease. The Nun Study. JAMA 1997;277:813–817.
21. , , , Structural magnetic resonance imaging in the practical assessment of dementia: beyond exclusion. Lancet Neurol 2002;1:13–21.
22. , , , et al. Accelerating regional atrophy rates in the progression from normal aging to Alzheimer’s disease. Eur Radiol 2009;19:2826–2833.
23. , , , et al. Posterior cerebral atrophy in the absence of medial temporal lobe atrophy in pathologically-confirmed Alzheimer’s disease. Neurobiol Aging 2012;33:672.
24. , , , et al. The topography of grey matter involvement in early and late onset Alzheimer’s disease. Brain 2007;130:720–730.
25. , , , et al. Visual assessment of posterior atrophy development of a MRI rating scale. Eur Radiol 2011;21:2618–2625.
26. , Vascular pathologies and cognition in a population-based cohort of elderly people. J Neurol Sci 2004;226:13–17.
27. , , , et al. Heterogeneity of white matter hyperintensities in Alzheimer’s disease: postmortem quantitative MRI and neuropathology. Brain 2008;131:3286–3298.
28. , , , et al. Heterogeneity of small vessel disease: a systematic review of MRI and histopathology correlations. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2011;82:126–135.
29. , Is the whole brain periventricular? J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2006;77:143–144.
30. , , , et al. Histopathologic analysis of foci of signal loss on gradient-echo T2*-weighted MR images in patients with spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage: evidence of microangiopathy-related microbleeds. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 1999;20:637–642.
31. , , , et al. Patients with Alzheimer disease with multiple microbleeds: relation with cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers and cognition. Stroke 2009;40:3455–3460.
32. , , , et al. Prevalence and risk factors of cerebral microbleeds: the Rotterdam Scan Study. Neurology 2008;70:1208–1214.
33. , , , et al. Use of antithrombotic drugs and the presence of cerebral microbleeds: the Rotterdam Scan Study. Arch Neurol 2009;66:714–720.
34. , , , et al. Clinical relevance of improved microbleed detection by susceptibility-weighted magnetic resonance imaging. Stroke 2011;42:1894–1900.
35. , , , et al. Quantification of myelin loss in frontal lobe white matter in vascular dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, and dementia with Lewy bodies. Acta Neuropathol 2010;119:579–589.
36. , , , et al. Cerebral hypoperfusion accelerates cerebral amyloid angiopathy and promotes cortical microinfarcts. Acta Neuropathol 2012;123:381–394.
37. , Small vessel disease and subcortical vascular dementia. J Clin Neurol 2006;2:1–11.
38. When two are worse than one: stroke and Alzheimer disease. Neurology 2006;67:1326–1327.
39. , , , et al. Progression of mild cognitive impairment to dementia: contribution of cerebrovascular disease compared with medial temporal lobe atrophy. Stroke 2009;40:1269–1274.
40. , , , et al. White matter changes and diabetes predict cognitive decline in the elderly: the LADIS study. Neurology 2010;75:160–167.
41. , , , et al. Magnetic resonance imaging white matter hyperintensities and brain volume in the prediction of mild cognitive impairment and dementia. Arch Neurol 2008;65:94–100.
42. , , , et al. Cerebral white matter lesions and the risk of dementia. Arch Neurol 2004;61:1531–1534.
43. , , , et al. Association of MRI markers of vascular brain injury with incident stroke, mild cognitive impairment, dementia, and mortality: the Framingham Offspring Study. Stroke 2010;41:600–606.
44. , , , et al. Silent brain infarcts and the risk of dementia and cognitive decline. N Engl J Med 2003;348:1215–1222.
45. , , , et al. Cerebral small-vessel disease and decline in information processing speed, executive function and memory. Brain 2005;128:2034–2041.
46. , , , et al. Small vessel disease and general cognitive function in nondisabled elderly: the LADIS study. Stroke 2005;36:2116–2120.
47. , , , et al. White matter lesion progression, brain atrophy, and cognitive decline: the Austrian Stroke Prevention Study. Ann Neurol 2005;58:610–616.
48. , , , et al. Diffusion-weighted imaging and cognition in the Leukoariosis And DISability in the elderly study. Stroke 2010;41:e402–e408.
49. , , , , Cognitive function in small vessel disease: the additional value of diffusion tensor imaging to conventional magnetic resonance imaging: the RUN DMC study. J Alzheimers Dis 2012;32:667–676.
50. Cerebrovascular disease and mechanisms of cognitive impairment: evidence from clinicopathological studies in humans. Stroke 2012;43:2526–2534.
51. , , , , Cerebral microinfarcts: a systematic review of neuropathological studies. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2012;32:425–436.
52. , Brain microbleeds and Alzheimer’s disease: innocent observation or key player? Brain 2011;134:335–344.
53. , , , et al. Prevalence and severity of microbleeds in a memory clinic setting. Neurology 2006;66:1356–1360.
54. , , , et al. Microbleed topography, leukoaraiosis, and cognition in probable Alzheimer disease from the Sunnybrook Dementia Study. Arch Neurol 2008;65:790–795.
55. , , , et al. Microbleeds relate to altered amyloid-β metabolism in Alzheimer’s disease. Neurobiol Aging 2012;33:1011–1019.
56. , , , , Microbleeds do not affect rate of cognitive decline in Alzheimer disease. Neurology 2012;79:763–769.
57. Clinical aspects of microbleeds in Alzheimer’s disease. J Neurol Sci 2012;322:56–58.
58. , , , et al. MRI biomarkers of vascular damage and atrophy predicting mortality in a memory clinic population. Stroke 2009;40:492–498.
59. , , , et al. Cerebral microbleeds are predictive of mortality in the elderly. Stroke 2011;42:638–644.
60. , , , et al. Amyloid-related imaging abnormalities in amyloid-modifying therapeutic trials: recommendations from the Alzheimer’s Association Research Roundtable Work Group. Alzheimers Dement 2011;7:367–385.
61. , , , et al. Consequence of Aβ immunization on the vasculature of human Alzheimer’s disease brain. Brain 2008;131:3299–3310.
62. , , , et al. White matter tract integrity in aging and Alzheimer’s disease. Hum Brain Mapp 2009;30:1051–1059.
63. , , , New MRI markers for Alzheimer’s disease: a meta-analysis of diffusion tensor imaging and a comparison with medial temporal lobe measurements. J Alzheimers Dis 2012;29:405–429.
64. , , , et al. Late-onset dementia: structural brain damage and total cerebral blood flow. Radiology 2005;236:990–995.
65. , , , et al. Cerebral blood flow measured with 3D pseudocontinuous arterial spin-labeling MR imaging in Alzheimer disease and mild cognitive impairment: a marker for disease severity. Radiology 2013;267:221–230.
66. , , , et al. Long term incidence of dementia, predictors of mortality and pathological diagnosis in older stroke survivors. Brain 2011;134:3716–3727.
67. , , , et al. Quantification of Alzheimer pathology in ageing and dementia: age-related accumulation of amyloid-β42 peptide in vascular dementia. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 2006;32:103–118.
68. , , , et al. The contribution of medial temporal lobe atrophy and vascular pathology to cognitive impairment in vascular dementia. Stroke 2007;38:3182–3185.
69. , , , et al. Medial temporal atrophy rather than white matter hyperintensities predict cognitive decline in stroke survivors. Neurobiol Aging 2007;28:1664–1669.
70. , , , et al. Neuroimaging and correlates of cognitive function among patients with heart failure. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 2007;24:418–423.
71. , , , et al. Hippocampal neuronal atrophy and cognitive function in delayed poststroke and aging-related dementias. Stroke 2012;43:808–814.
72. , , , et al. Cerebral blood flow by arterial spin labeling in poststroke dementia. Neurology 2011;76:1478–1484.
73. , , , et al. Amyloid deposition after cerebral hypoperfusion: evidenced on [(18)F]AV-45 positron emission tomography. J Neurol Sci 2012;319:124–129.
74. , , , et al. White matter hyperintensities predict amyloid increase in Alzheimer’s disease. Neurobiol Aging 2012;33:2766–2773.
75. , , , et al. Staging and natural history of cerebrovascular pathology in dementia. Neurology 2012;78:1043–1050.
76. , , , et al. In vivo detection of cerebral cortical microinfarcts with high-resolution 7T MRI. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2013;33:322–329.
77. , , , et al. Impact of age-related cerebral white matter changes on the transition to disability – the LADIS study: rationale, design and methodology. Neuroepidemiology 2005;24:51–62.
78. , , , et al. Risk of rapid global functional decline in elderly patients with severe cerebral age-related white matter changes: the LADIS study. Arch Intern Med 2007;167:81–88.
79. , , , et al. Changes in white matter as determinant of global functional decline in older independent outpatients: three year follow-up of LADIS (Leukoaraiosis And DISability) study cohort. BMJ 2009;339:2477.
80. , , , et al. Medial temporal lobe atrophy and white matter hyperintensities are associated with mild cognitive deficits in non-disabled elderly people: the LADIS study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2005;76:1497–1500.
81. , , , et al. Brain atrophy accelerates cognitive decline in cerebral small vessel disease: the LADIS study. Neurology 2012;78:1785–1792.
82. , , , White matter lesions are associated with progression of medial temporal lobe atrophy in Alzheimer disease. Stroke 2006;37:2248–2252.
83. , , , et al. Neuropathologically defined subtypes of Alzheimer’s disease with distinct clinical characteristics: a retrospective study. Lancet Neurol 2011;10:785–796.
84. , , , et al. Hippocampal atrophy on MRI in frontotemporal lobar degeneration and Alzheimer’s disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2006;77:439–442.
85. , , , et al. Visual cerebral microbleed detection on 7T MR imaging: reliability and effects of image processing. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2013;34:E61–E64.