1. , , , et al. Motor cortex stimulation in intact man. 1. General characteristics of EMG responses in different muscles. Brain. 1987;110:1173–90.
2. , , , et al. Delay in the execution of voluntary movement by electrical or magnetic brain stimulation in intact man. Evidence for the storage of motor programs in the brain. Brain. 1989;112:649–63.
3. , , , et al. Corticospinal volleys evoked by transcranial stimulation of the brain in conscious humans. Neurol Res. 2003;25:143–50.
4. , , . Arm function after stroke: Neurophysiological correlates and recovery mechanisms assessed by transcranial magnetic stimulation. Clin Neurophysiol. 2006;117:1641–59.
5. , , , et al. Effects of antiepileptic drugs on motor cortex excitability in humans: A transcranial magnetic stimulation study. Ann Neurol. 1996;40:367–78.
6. , , . Input–output properties and gain changes in the human corticospinal pathway. Exp Brain Res. 1997;114:329–38.
7. , , , et al. Spontaneous neurological recovery after stroke and the fate of the ischemic penumbra. Ann Neurol. 1996;40:216–26.
8. , , , et al. Magnetic transcranial stimulation in non-haemorrhagic sylvian strokes: Interest of facilitation for early functional prognosis. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1995;97:349–54.
9. , , . Post-stroke reorganization of brain motor output to the hand: A 2–4 month follow-up with focal magnetic transcranial stimulation. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1997;105:438–50.
10. , , , et al. Interhemispheric asymmetries of motor cortex excitability in the postacute stroke stage: A paired-pulse transcranial magnetic stimulation study. Stroke. 2003;34:2653–8.
11. , , . Motor hand recovery after stroke. Prognostic yield of early transcranial magnetic stimulation. Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1999;39:405–10.
12. , , , et al. Follow-up of interhemispheric differences of motor evoked potentials from the ‘affected’ and ‘unaffected’ hemispheres in human stroke. Brain Res. 1998;803:1–8.
13. , , , et al. Motor disinhibition in affected and unaffected hemisphere in the early period of recovery after stroke. Clin Neurophysiol. 2002;113:936–43.
14. , , , et al. Neurophysiological follow-up of motor cortical output in stroke patients. Clin Neurophysiol. 2000;111:1695–703.
15. , , , et al. Cortical and cervical stimulation after hemispheric infarction. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1987;50:861–5.
16. , , , et al. Absence of response to early transcranial magnetic stimulation in ischemic stroke patients: Prognostic value for hand motor recovery. Stroke. 1999;30:2666–70.
17. , , , et al. Motor recovery following stroke: A transcranial magnetic stimulation study. Clin Neurophysiol. 2000;111:1860–7.
18. , , , et al. Ipsilateral motor responses to focal transcranial magnetic stimulation in healthy subjects and acute-stroke patients. Stroke. 2001;32:1304–09.
19. , . Inhibitory and excitatory circuits of cerebral cortex after ischaemic stroke: Prognostic value of the transcranial magnetic stimulation. Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol. 2002;42:131–6.
20. , , , et al. Post-stroke reorganization of hand motor area: A 1-year prospective follow-up with focal transcranial magnetic stimulation. Clin Neurophysiol. 2003;114:1217–25.
21. , , , et al. Stages of motor output reorganization after hemispheric stroke suggested by longitudinal studies of cortical physiology. Cereb Cortex. 2008;18:1909–22.
22. , , , et al. Magnetic transcranial stimulation in acute stroke: Early excitation threshold and functional prognosis. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1996;101:233–9.
23. , , , et al. Long-term changes in motor cortical organisation after recovery from subcortical stroke. Brain Res. 2001;889:278–87.
24. , , , et al. Transcranial magnetic stimulation after pure motor stroke. Clin Neurophysiol. 2002;113:1536–43.
25. , , , et al. Motor outcome after subcortical stroke: MEPs correlate with hand strength but not dexterity. Clin Neurophysiol. 2002;113:2025–9.
26. , , . Hand motor recovery after stroke: A transcranial magnetic stimulation mapping study of motor output areas and their relation to functional status. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2002;16:275–82.
27. , , , et al. Treatment-induced cortical reorganization after stroke in humans. Stroke. 2000;31:1210–6.
28. , , , et al. Motor outcome after subcortical stroke correlates with the degree of cortical reorganization. Clin Neurophysiol. 2004;115:2144–50.
29. , , , et al. Task-dependent changes of intracortical inhibition. Exp Brain Res. 1998;118:421–6.
30. , , , et al. Motor cortex disinhibition in acute stroke. Clin Neurophysiol. 2000;111:671–6.
31. , , , et al. Motor cortical disinhibition in the unaffected hemisphere after unilateral cortical stroke. Brain, 2002;125:1896–907.
32. , , , et al. The surround inhibition determines therapy-induced cortical reorganization. Neuroimage. 2006;32:1216–20.
33. , , , et al. Contralateral and ipsilateral EMG responses to transcranial magnetic stimulation during recovery of arm and hand function after stroke. Electroenceph Clin Neurophys. 1996;101:316–28.
34. , , . Reorganization of motor output in the non-affected hemisphere after stroke. Brain. 1997;120:1579–86.
35. , , , et al. Remote changes in cortical excitability after stroke. Brain. 2003;126:470–81.
36. , , , et al. Motor system activation after subcortical stroke depends on corticospinal system integrity. Brain. 2006;129:809–19.
37. , , , et al. Influence of interhemispheric interactions on motor function in chronic stroke. Ann Neurol. 2004;55:400–09.
38. , , , et al. Relationship between interhemispheric inhibition and motor cortex excitability in subacute stroke patients. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2008;22:4–21.
39. , , . Transcallosal inhibition in cortical and subcortical cerebral vascular lesions. J Neurol Sci. 1996;144:160–70.
40. , , , et al. Influence of somatosensory input on interhemispheric interactions in patients with chronic stroke. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2008;22:477–85.
41. , , , et al. The role of multiple contralesional motor areas for complex hand movements after internal capsular lesion. J Neurosci. 2006;26:6096–102.
42. , , , et al. Contribution of transcranial magnetic stimulation to the understanding of cortical mechanisms involved in motor control. J Physiol. 2008;586:325–51.
43. , , , et al. Neural correlates of motor recovery after stroke: A longitudinal fMRI study. Brain. 2003;126:2476–96.
44. , , , et al. The relationship between brain activity and peak grip force is modulated by corticospinal system integrity after subcortical stroke. Eur J Neurosci. 2007;25:1865–73.
45. , , , et al. The role of ipsilateral premotor cortex in hand movement after stroke. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2002;99:14 518–23.
46. , . Does brain stimulation after stroke have a future? Curr Opin Neurol. 2006;19:543–50.
47. , , , et al. Somatosensory stimulation enhances the effects of training functional hand tasks in patients with chronic stroke. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007;88:1369–76.
48. , , , et al. Influence of somatosensory input on motor function in patients with chronic stroke. Ann Neurol. 2004;56:206–12.
49. , , , et al. A sham-controlled trial of a 5-day course of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation of the unaffected hemisphere in stroke patients. Stroke. 2006;37:2115–22.
50. , , . Exploring theta burst stimulation as an intervention to improve motor recovery in chronic stroke. Clin Neurophysiol. 2007;118:333–42.
51. , , , et al. Priming the motor system enhances the effects of upper limb therapy in chronic stroke. Brain. 2008;131:1381–90.
52. , , , et al. Functional potential in chronic stroke patients depends on corticospinal tract integrity. Brain. 2007;130:170–80.
53. , , , et al. Simple metric for scaling motor threshold based on scalp-cortex distance: Application to studies using transcranial magnetic stimulation. J Neurophysiol. 2005;94:4520–7.
54. , , , et al. Different sites of action of electrical and magnetic stimulation of the human brain. Neurosci Lett. 1987;75:101–06.
55. , , , et al. Electric and magnetic stimulation of human motor cortex: Surface EMG and single motor unit responses. J Physiol. 1989;412:449–73.
56. , , , et al. Multimodal output mapping of human central motor representation on different spatial scales. J Physiol. 1998;512:163–79.
57. , , , et al. Stereotactic transcranial magnetic stimulation: Correlation with direct electrical cortical stimulation. Neurosurgery. 1997;4:1319–25.