1. , , , et al. Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN). Epidemiology of psychiatric-related visits to emergency departments in a multicenter collaborative research pediatric network. Pediatr Emerg Care 2009;25:715–20.
2. , , , Children requiring psychiatric consultation in the pediatric emergency department: epidemiology, resource utilization, and complications. Pediatr Emerg Care 2006;22:85–9.
3. , , , et al. A 4-year review of pediatric mental health emergencies in Alberta. CJEM 2009;11:447–54.
4. . Pediatric and adolescent mental health emergencies in the emergency medical services system. Pediatrics 2011;127:e1356–66.
5. , Legal considerations in the child psychiatric emergency department. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 2003;12:745–61.
6. , , , Establishing best practice in pediatric emergency mental health: a prospective study examining clinical characteristics. Pediatr Emerg Care 2009;25:380–6.
7. , , , Aggression and the risk for suicidal behaviors among children. Suicide Life Threat Behav 2010;40:337–45.
8. , , Proactive and reactive aggression in a child psychiatric inpatient population. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychology 2009;38:199–205.
9. , Proactive and reactive aggression in childhood and adolescence: a meta-analysis of differential relations with psychosocial adjustment. Int J Behav Dev 2006;30:466–80.
10. , Social information-processing factors in reactive and proactive aggression in children’s peer groups. J Pers Soc Psychol 1987;53:1146–58.
11. , , . Aggression, ADHD symptoms, and dysphoria in children and adolescents diagnosed with bipolar disorder and ADHD. J Affect Disord 2011;131:312–19.
12. Reducing reactive aggression by lowering coping demands and boosting regulation: five key staff behaviors. J Child Adolesc Psychiatr Nurs 2009;22:211–19.
13. , Agitation treatment for pediatric emergency patients. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2008;47:132–8. Erratum in J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2008;47:478.
14. , , , et al. A systematic review of crisis interventions used in the emergency department: recommendations for pediatric care and research. Pediatr Emerg Care 2010;26:952–62.
15. , , Practice parameter for the prevention and management of aggressive behavior in child and adolescent psychiatric institutions, with special reference to seclusion and restraint. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2002;41(Suppl 2):4S–25S.
16. , , , , Effectiveness of six core strategies based on trauma informed care in reducing seclusions and restraints at a child and adolescent psychiatric hospital. J Child Adolesc Psychiatr Nurs 2011;24:11–15.
17. , , Pharmacological management of the agitated pediatric patient. Pediatr Emerg Care 2010;26:856–60.
18. , Restraint use for psychiatric patients in the pediatric emergency department. Pediatr Emerg Care 2006;22:7–12.
19. , , , Pediatric emergency consultations: prior mental health service use in suicide attempters. J Behav Health Serv Res 2011;38:68–79.
20. , , Screening for suicide risk in the pediatric emergency and acute care setting. Curr Opin Pediatr 2007;19:398–404.
21. Firearms and suicide. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2001;932:225–40.
22. , , , et al. Risk factors for adolescent suicide: a comparison of adolescent suicide victims with suicidal inpatients. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1988;45:581–8.
23. , , , , Who are the owners of firearms used in adolescent suicides?Suicide Life Threat Behav 2010;40:609–11.
24. , , , et al. Decrease in suicide rates after a change of policy reducing access to firearms in adolescents: a naturalistic epidemiological study. Suicide Life Threat Behav 2010;40:421–4.
25. , , , et al. Gun storage practices and risk of youth suicide and unintentional firearm injuries. JAMA 2005;293:707–14.
26. , , , et al. Pediatric suicide-related presentations: a systematic review of mental health care in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 2010;56:649–59.
27. , , , , Characteristics and co-occurrence of adolescent non-suicidal self-injury and suicidal behaviours in pediatric emergency crisis services. J Youth Adolesc 2010;39:259–69.
28. , , , , Clinical prevalence and correlates of substance use in adolescent psychiatric emergency patients. Pediatr Emerg Care 2011;27:384–9.
29. , , , A parallel process growth mixture model of conduct problems and substance use with risky sexual behavior. Drug Alcohol Depend 2010;111:207–14.
30. , , , et al. DSM-V conduct disorder: research needs for an evidence base. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 2008;49:3–33.
31. , Community studies on adolescent substance use, abuse, or dependence and psychiatric comorbidity. J Cons Clin Psychol 2002;70:1224–39.
32. , , , et al. Ecstasy use among US adolescents from 1999 to 2008. Drug Alcohol Depend 2010;112:33–8.
33. , , , Hallucinogen-related disorders in a national sample of adolescents: the influence of ecstasy/MDMA use. Drug Alcohol Depend 2009;104:156–65.
34. , , Psychiatric disorder symptoms, substance use, and sexual risk behavior among African-American out of school youth. Drug Alcohol Depend 2011;115:67–73.
35. Do you really need that emergency drug screen?Clin Toxicol (Phila) 2009;47:286–91.
36. , , , et al. Psychiatric patients in the pediatric emergency department undergoing routine urine toxicology screens for medical clearance: results and use. Pediatr Emerg Care 2009;25:387–92.
37. , , , et al. Auditory hallucinations in pre-pubertal children: a one-year follow-up, preliminary findings. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2007;16:411–15.
38. , , , et al. Childhood onset schizophrenia: high rate of visual hallucinations. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2011;50:681–6.
39. Hallucinations in children and adolescents: considerations in the emergency setting. Am J Psychiatry 2006;163:781–5.
40. , , , et al. Characteristics of children with elevated symptoms of mania: the Longitudinal Assessment of Manic Symptoms (LAMS) study. J Clin Psychiatr 2010;71:1664–72.
41. , , Pharmacotherapy of bipolar disorder in children: recent progress. CNS Drugs 2010;24:575–93.
42. , , , Guidelines for treatment-resistant mania in children with bipolar disorder. J Psychiatr Pract 2011;17:186–93.
43. , , Trends in U.S. emergency department visits for anxiety-related mental health conditions, 1992–2001. J Clin Psychiatry 2008;69:286–94.
44. , , , Disability is already pronounced in young people with early stages of affective disorders: data from an early intervention service. J Affect Disord 2011;131:84–91.
45. , Childhood onset major depressive disorder: course of illness and psychiatric comorbidity in a community sample. J Pediatr 2009;155:118–23.
46. , , Brief screening for adolescent depressive symptoms in the emergency department. Acad Emerg Med 2008;15:17–22.
47. , , , Trauma and diverse child populations. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 2010;19:869–87.
48. , Cultural considerations in child and adolescent psychiatric emergencies and crisis. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 2003;12:723–44.
49. , , , The role of race in diagnostic decision making in a pediatric psychiatric emergency service. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2008;30:269–76.
50. , , , , Racial/ethnic minority children’s use of psychiatric emergency care in California’s public mental health system. Am J Public Health 2008;98:118–24.
51. , , , Factors associated with a six-month return to emergency services among child and adolescent psychiatric patients. Psychiatr Serv 2007;58:1489–92.