1. , , , et al. The global burden of mental disorders: an update from the WHO World Mental Health (WMH) surveys. Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc 2009;18:23–33.
2. , (Eds.). The WHO World Mental Health Surveys: Global Perspectives on the Epidemiology of Mental Disorders. New York: Cambridge University Press; 2008.
3. , , , , Lifetime prevalence and age-of-onset distributions of DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2005;62:593–602.
4. , , , et al. Prevalence, severity, and unmet need for treatment of mental disorders in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys. JAMA 2004;291:2581–90.
5. , , , et al. Lifetime prevalence and age-of-onset distributions of mental disorders in the World Health Organization’s World Mental Health Survey Initiative. World Psychiatry 2007;6:168–76.
6. , , , et al. Association of childhood adversities and early-onset mental disorders with adult-onset chronic physical conditions. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2011;68:838–44.
7. , , , et al. Mental disorders among persons with heart disease – results from World Mental Health surveys. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2007;29:325–34.
8. , , , , Prevalence, severity, and comorbidity of 12-month DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2005;62:617–27.
9. . Health, United States, 2010: With Special Feature on Death and Dying. Hyattsville, MD; National Center for Health Statistics; 2011.
10. , The economic burden of depression in the US: societal and patient perspectives. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2005;6:369–76.
11. , , , et al. The economic burden of anxiety disorders in the 1990s. J Clin Psychiatry 1999;60:427–35.
12. , , , et al. Days out of role due to common physical and mental conditions: results from the WHO World Mental Health surveys. Mol Psychiatry 2011;16:1234–46.
13. , , , et al. The Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act as a federal health care safety net program. Acad Emerg Med 2001;8:1064–9.
14. . National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2008 Emergency Department Summary Tables. Atlanta, GA: Center for Disease Control; 2011.
15. , , , National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2006 emergency department summary. Natl Health Stat Report 2008;7:1–38.
16. . Trend watch chart book 2006.
17. , , , , Trends in U.S. emergency department visits for mental health conditions, 1992 to 2001. Psychiatr Serv 2005;56:671–7.
18. , , , et al. The de facto US mental and addictive disorders service system. Epidemiologic catchment area prospective 1-year prevalence rates of disorders and services. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1993;50:85–94.
19. , , Emergency department utilization patterns for Medicare beneficiaries with serious mental disorders. Psychiatr Serv 2010;61:628–31.
20. , , , , Enabling the diagnosis of occult psychiatric illness in the emergency department: a randomized, controlled trial of the computerized, self-administered PRIME-MD diagnostic system. Ann Emerg Med 2001;37:132–40.
21. , , , et al. Lifetime prevalence and age-of-onset distributions of DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2005;62:593–602.
22. , , , et al. Twelve-month use of mental health services in the United States: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2005;62:629–40.
23. , , Trends in U.S. emergency department visits for anxiety-related mental health conditions, 1992–2001. J Clin Psychiatry 2008;69:286–94.
24. , The descriptive epidemiology of commonly occurring mental disorders in the United States. Annu Rev Public Health 2008;29:115–29.
25. , , , Epidemiology of anxiety disorders. Curr Top Behav Neurosci 2010;2:21–35.
26. , , , et al. Age of onset of mental disorders: a review of recent literature. Curr Opin Psychiatry 2007;20:359–64.
27. Chest pain and its importance in patients with panic disorder: an updated literature review. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry 2008;10:376–83.
28. , , Economic burden of not recognizing panic disorder in the emergency department. J Emerg Med 2009;36:3–7.
29. , , , et al. The epidemiology of major depressive disorder: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R). JAMA 2003;289:3095–105.
30. , , , The economic burden of depression in 1990. J Clin Psychiatry 1993;54:405–18.
31. , , , et al. The functioning and well-being of depressed patients. Results from the Medical Outcomes Study. JAMA 1989;262:914–19.
32. , Depression and chronic medical illness. J Clin Psychiatry 1990;51(Suppl):3–11; discussion 2–4.
33. , , Emergency department visits for depression in the United States. Psychiatr Serv 2004;55:937–9.
34. , , . Mood disorder screening among adult emergency department patients: a multicenter study of prevalence, associations and interest in treatment. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2008;30:4–13.
35. , , , , The epidemiology of DSM-III-R bipolar I disorder in a general population survey. Psychol Med 1997;27:1079–89.
36. , , , et al. Considering the costs of bipolar depression. Behav Health 2007;27:45–7.
37. Suicide and bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychiatry 2000;61(Suppl 9):47–51.
38. , , , , Bipolar disorder screening among adult patients in an urban emergency department setting. Primary Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry 2006;8:348–51.
39. . Reducing Suicide: A National Imperative. , , , , (Eds.). Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2002.
40. , , , et al. Twelve-month prevalence of and risk factors for suicide attempts in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys. J Clin Psychiatry 2010;71:1617–28.
41. , Occult suicidality in an emergency department population. Br J Psychiatry 2005;186:352–3.
42. , , Trends in US emergency department visits for suicide attempts, 1992–2001. Crisis 2008;29:73–80.
43. , Emergency departments are underutilized sites for suicide prevention. Crisis 2010;31:1–6.
44. , Suicide as an outcome for mental disorders. Br J Psychiatry 1997;170:205–28.
45. Further suicidal behavior among medically serious suicide attempters. Suicide Life Threat Behav 2004;34:1–11.
46. , , , The epidemiology of presentations for suicidal ideation to the Emergency Department. Acad Emerg Med 2008;15:S208–9.
47. , , , et al. The economic burden of schizophrenia in the United States in 2002. J Clin Psychiatry 2005;66:1122–9.
48. , , , , Epidemiological trends in psychosis-related Emergency Department visits in the United States, 1992–2001. Schizophr Res 2009;110:28–32.
49. , , , The prevalence and correlates of eating disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Biol Psychiatry 2007;61:348–58.