1. . 2005 Emergency Department Utilization Survey. Naperville, IL: The Illinois Hospital Association; 2006.
2. . Emergency Departments see Dramatic Increase in People with Mental Illness. Washington, DC: American College of Emergency Physicians; 2004.
4. . Hospital-based Emergency Care: At the Breaking Point. Committee on the Future of Emergency Care in the U.S. Health System. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2006.
5. . Memorandum: Psychiatric Bed Data. Naperville, IL: Illinois Hospital Association; 2004.
6. , , . Trends in U.S. emergency department visits for mental health conditions, 1992 to 2001. Psychiatr Serv 2005;56:671–7.
7. Stressed out. Hosp Health Netw 2006;80:50–2.
8. . Blueprint for Change: Ending Chronic Homelessness for Persons with Serious Mental Illnesses and Co-occurring Substance Use Disorders. DHHS Pub. No. SMA-04–3870, Rockville, MD: Center for Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; 2003.
9. . Medicaid and the Uninsured. The Uninsured: A Primer. October 2006.
. Drug Abuse Warning Network, 2005: National Estimates of Drug-Related Emergency Department Visits
. March, 2007. SAMHSA’s Office of Applied Studies. Available at: http://oas.samhsa.gov/DAWN/2k5ed.cfm
(Accessed August 13, 2012).
12. , , . Mental health triage in emergency medicine. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 1999;33:57–66.
13. , , , et al. Clinical policy: critical issues in the diagnosis and management of the adult psychiatric patient in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 2006;47:79–99.
14. . Evidence-based evaluation of psychiatric patients. J Emerg Med 2004;28:35–9.
15. , , , , . A tool for the emergency medicine evaluation of psychiatric patients. Am J Emerg Med 1996;14:329–33.
16. , , . Prospective medical clearance of psychiatric patient. Submitted for publication.
17. , , , . Comparison of EPs’ and psychiatrists’ laboratory assessment of psychiatric patients. Am J Emerg Med 2004;22:175–80.
18. , . Application of a medical clearance protocol. Submitted for publication.
, Consensus Statement on Medical Clearance and Toxicology Screening
. Available at: www.macep.org/index
(Accessed August 13, 2012).
21. , , . Development of Australia’s first psychiatric emergency centre. Australas Psychiatry 2005;13:266–72.
22. . Psychiatric emergency centres, reinforcing the separation of mind and body. Int J Ment Health Nurs 2005;14:218–19.
23. . 405. ILCS. 5/1–122.
24. , , , , . The effect of organizational climate on the clinical care of patients with mental health problems. J Emerg Nurs 2003;29:314–21.
25. , , , (Eds.). To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2000.
26. . Improving the quality of healthcare for mental and substance-use conditions. In: , , , , (Eds.). Crossing the Quality Charm: Adaptation for Mental Health and Addictive Disorders. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2006.