1. and . The search for new cardiovascular biomarkers. Nature 2008;451:949–52.
2. , , , et al. Clinical utility of different lipid measures for prediction of coronary heart disease in men and women [see comment]. Journal of the American Medical Association 2007;298:776–85.
3. , , , et al. C-reactive protein, inflammatory conditions, and cardiovascular disease risk. The American Journal of Medicine 2007;120:1054–62.
4. , , , et al. Prediction of coronary heart disease using risk factor categories [see comment]. Circulation 1998;97:1837–47.
5. . Executive summary of the third report of The National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA 2001;285:2486–97.
6. , , , et al. Validation of the Framingham coronary heart disease prediction scores: Results of a multiple ethnic groups investigation [see comment]. Journal of the American Medical Association 2001;286:180–7.
7. . MRC/BHF Heart Protection Study of cholesterol lowering with simvastatin in 20,536 high-risk individuals: A randomised placebo-controlled trial.[see comment][summary for patients in Current Cardiology Reports 2002;4:486–7; PMID: 12379169]. Lancet 2002;360:7–22.
8. , , , et al. Comparison of C-reactive protein and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in the prediction of first cardiovascular events [see comment]. New England Journal of Medicine 2002;347:1557–65.
9. , , , et al. C-reactive protein and other markers of inflammation in the prediction of cardiovascular disease in women. New England Journal of Medicine 2000;342:836–43.
10. , , , et al. C-reactive protein levels and coronary artery disease incidence and mortality in apparently healthy men and women: The EPIC-Norfolk prospective population study 1993–2003. Atherosclerosis 2006;187:415–22.
11. , and . The effect of including C-reactive protein in cardiovascular risk prediction models for women. Annals of Internal Medicine 2006;145:21–9.
12. , , , et al. C-reactive protein levels and outcomes after statin therapy [see comment]. New England Journal of Medicine 2005;352:20–8.
13. . Hyperglycemia: A risk factor in coronary heart disease. Circulation 1967;36:609–19.
14. and . Diabetes and cardiovascular risk factors: The Framingham study. Circulation 1979;59:8–13.
15. , , , et al. Mortality from coronary heart disease in subjects with type 2 diabetes and in nondiabetic subjects with and without prior myocardial infarction [see comment]. New England Journal of Medicine 1998;339:229–34.
16. . Banting lecture 1988: Role of insulin resistance in human disease. Diabetes 1988;37:1595–607.
17. , , , et al. Relation of impaired fasting and postload glucose with incident type 2 diabetes in a Dutch population: The Hoorn Study. Journal of the American Medical Association 2001;285:2109–13.
18. . The metabolic syndrome and mortality from cardiovascular disease and all-causes: Findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey II Mortality Study. Atherosclerosis 2004;173:309–14.
19. , , , et al. The Metabolic Syndrome: Time for a critical appraisal. Diabetes Care 2005;28:2289–304.
20.American Heart Association, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute; , , , et al. Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome. An American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Scientific Statement. Executive summary. Cardiology in Review 2005;13:322–7.
21. , , , et al. Metabolic syndrome vs Framingham risk score for prediction of coronary heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Archives of Internal Medicine 2005;165:2644–50.
22. , , , et al. An exploratory analysis of criteria for the metabolic syndrome and its prediction of long-term cardiovascular outcomes: The Hoorn study. American Journal of Epidemiology 2005;162:438–47.
23. , , , et al. The National Cholesterol Education Program – Adult Treatment Panel III, International Diabetes Federation, and World Health Organization definitions of the metabolic syndrome as predictors of incident cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Diabetes Care 2007;30:8–13.
24. , , , et al. Harmonizing the definition of the metabolic syndrome: Comparison of the criteria of the Adult Treatment Panel III and the International Diabetes Federation in United States American and European populations. American Journal of Cardiology 2007;99:541–8.
25. , , , et al. Triglyceride concentration and ischemic heart disease: An eight-year follow-up in the Copenhagen Male Study. Circulation 1998;97:1029–36.
26. , , , et al. Use of metabolic markers to identify overweight individuals who are insulin resistant [see comment][summary for patients in Annals of Internal Medicine 2003;139:I16; PMID: 14623638]. Annals of Internal Medicine 2003;139:802–9.
27. . Treatment of the dyslipidemia of insulin resistance. Medical Clinics of North America 2007;91:1185–210.
28. and . The effects of antipsychotic therapy on serum lipids: A comprehensive review. Schizophrenia Research 2004;70:1–17.
29. . Schizophrenia: A life-shortening disease. Schizophrenia Bulletin 1989;15:81–9.
30. Excess mortality of schizophrenia. A meta-analysis. British Journal of Psychiatry 1997;171:502–8.
31. , , , et al. Mortality and causes of death in schizophrenia in Stockholm county, Sweden. Schizophrenia Research 2000;45:21–8.
32. , , , et al. Time trends in schizophrenia mortality in Stockholm county, Sweden: Cohort study. British Medical Journal 2000;321:483–4.
33. and . Congruencies in increased mortality rates, years of potential life lost, and causes of death among public mental health clients in eight states. Preventing Chronic Diseases 2006;3:1–14.
34. , and . A systematic review of mortality in schizophrenia: Is the differential mortality gap worsening over time?Archives of General Psychiatry 2007;64:1123–31.
35. and . Severe mental illness and risk of cardiovascular disease. Journal of the American Medical Association 2007;298:1794–6.
36. and , eds. Medical Illness and Schizophrenia. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press, Inc; 2003.
37. , , , et al. Physical health monitoring of patients with schizophrenia. American Journal of Psychiatry 2004;161:1334–49.
38. . Consensus development conference on antipsychotic drugs and obesity and diabetes. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2004;65:267–72.
39. , , , et al. The unhealthy lifestyle of people with schizophrenia. Psychological Medicine 1999;29:697–701.
40. , , , et al. Mental disorders and use of cardiovascular procedures after myocardial infarction [see comments]. Journal of the American Medical Association 2000;283:506–11.
41. , , , et al. Low rates of treatment for hypertension, dyslipidemia and diabetes in schizophrenia: Data from the CATIE Schizophrenia Trial sample at baseline. Schizophrenia Research 2006;86:15–22.
42. , and . Delayed action of insulin in schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry 1945;102:108–10.
43. . Sugar tolerance in dementia praecox and other mental disorders. Archives of Neurology and Psychiatry 1922;8:184–96.
44. , and . Biochemical disturbances in mental disorders: Anti-insulin effect of blood in cases of schizophrenia. Archives of Neurology and Psychiatry 1941;47:38–52 (correction, v. 47:1057).
45. . Diabetes mellitus in chronic mental patients. The Psychiatic Quarterly 1962;36:530–6.
46. , , , et al. Insulin resistance and adiponectin levels in drug-free patients with schizophrenia: A preliminary report [erratum appears in Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 2006;51:552]. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry – Revue Canadienne de Psychiatrie 2006;51:382–6.
47. , , , et al. Hepatic insulin resistance in antipsychotic naive patients with schizophrenia, a detailed study of glucose metabolism with stable isotopes. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2008;93:572–7.
48. , , , et al. Influence of chlorpromazine on certain biochemical variables of chronic male schizophrenics. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 1958;127:167–79.
49. and . Relationship of phenothiazine intake and psychiatric diagnosis to glucose level and tolerance. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 1966;142:555–61.
50. and . Blood sugar levels in patients treated with chlorpromazine. American Journal of Psychiatry 1968;125:253–5.
51. , , , et al. Chlorpromazine in women with chronic schizophrenia: The effect on cholesterol levels and cholesterol-behavior relationships. Psychosomatic Medicine 1967;29:634–42.
52. . Second-generation (atypical) antipsychotics and metabolic effects: A comprehensive literature review. CNS Drugs 2005;19(Suppl. 1):1–93.
53. , , , et al. Effectiveness of antipsychotic drugs in patients with chronic schizophrenia. New England Journal of Medicine 2005;353:1209–23.
54. , , , et al. Metabolic syndrome in patients with schizophrenia. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2003;64:575–9.
55. , , , et al. Characterizing coronary heart disease risk in chronic schizophrenia: High prevalence of the metabolic syndrome. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry – Revue Canadienne de Psychiatrie 2004;49:753–60.
56. , , , et al. Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in patients with schizophrenia: Baseline results from the Clinical Antipsychotic Trials of Intervention Effectiveness (CATIE) schizophrenia trial and comparison with national estimates from NHANES III. Schizophrenia Research 2005;80:19–32.
57. , , , et al. The association of medical comorbidity in schizophrenia with poor physical and mental health. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 1999;187:496–502.
58. , , , et al. The Clinical Antipsychotic Trials Of Intervention Effectiveness (CATIE) Schizophrenia Trial: Clinical comparison of subgroups with and without the metabolic syndrome. Schizophrenia Research 2005;80:9–18.
59. , and . A 12-item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-12): Construction of scales and preliminary tests of reliability and validity. Medical Care 1996;32:220–33.
60. , and . The positive and negative syndrome scale (PANSS) for schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin 1987;13:261–76.
61. , , , et al. A comparison of ten-year cardiac risk estimates in schizophrenia patients from the CATIE Study and matched controls. Schizophrenia Research 2005;80:45–53.
62. , , , et al. Effectiveness of olanzapine, quetiapine, risperidone, and ziprasidone in patients with chronic schizophrenia following discontinuation of a previous atypical antipsychotic. American Journal of Psychiatry 2006;163:611–22.
63. , , , et al. Improvement in indices of health status in outpatients with schizophrenia switched to ziprasidone. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology 2003;23:1–6.
64. , , , et al. Long-term changes in weight and plasma lipids during maintenance treatment with ziprasidone. Neuropsychopharmacology 2008;33:985–95.
65. , , , et al. Change in metabolic syndrome parameters with antipsychotic treatment in the CATIE Schizophrenia Trial: Prospective data from phase 1. Schizophrenia Research 2008;101:273–86.
66. , , , et al. Relation of triglyceride levels, fasting and nonfasting, to fatal and nonfatal coronary heart disease. Archives of Internal Medicine 2003;163:1077–83.
67. , , , et al. Nonfasting triglycerides and risk of myocardial infarction, ischemic heart disease, and death in men and women. Journal of the American Medical Association 2007;298:299–308.
68. , , , et al. Fasting compared with nonfasting triglycerides and risk of cardiovascular events in women. Journal of the American Medical Association 2007;298:309–16.
69. , , , et al. Impact of antipsychotic treatment on nonfasting triglycerides in the CATIE Schizophrenia Trial phase 1. Schizophrenia Research 2008;103:104–9.
70. , , , et al. Antipsychotic effects on estimated 10 year coronary heart disease risk in the CATIE Schizophrenia Study. Schizophrenia Research 2008;105:175–87.
71. , , , et al. Inflammatory markers in schizophrenia: Comparing antipsychotic effects in phase 1 of the CATIE Schizophrenia Trial. Biological Psychiatry 2009 [Epub ahead of print].
72. , , , et al. Clozapine, diabetes mellitus, hyperlipidemia, and cardiovascular risks and mortality: Results of a 10-year naturalistic study. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2005;66:1116–21.
73. , , , et al. Definition of metabolic syndrome: report of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute/American Heart Association conference on scientific issues related to definition. Circulation 2004;109:433–38.