1. , , , . Postoperative pain experience: results from a national survey suggest postoperative pain continues to be undermanaged. Anesth Analg. 2003;97:534–540.
2. , . Acute pain management: programs in U.S. hospitals and experiences and attitudes among U.S. adults. Anesthesiology. 1995;83:1090–1094.
3. , . Anaesthesia, surgery, and challenges in postoperative recovery. Lancet. 2003;362:1921–1928.
4. . The stress response to trauma and surgery. Br J Anaesth. 2000;85:109–117.
5. . From Cuthbertson to fast-track surgery: 70 years of progress in reducing stress in surgical patients. Ann Surg. 2002;236:643–648.
6. , . Postoperative ileus: a preventable event. Br J Surg. 2000;87:1480–1493.
7. . Patients’ night-time pain, analgesic provision and sleep after surgery. Int J Nurs Stud. 1992;29:381–392.
8. , . Chronic pain as an outcome of surgery: a review of predictive factors. Anesthesiology. 2000;93:1123–1133.
9. . The passions of the soul. In , ed. Key Philosophical Readings. Hertordshire, UK: Wordsworth Editions Limited; 1997:358–383.
10. , . Pain mechanisms: a new theory. Science. 1965;150:971–979.
11. , , . Peripheral mechanisms of somatic pain. Anesthesiology. 1988;68:571–590.
12. . Evidence for a central component of post-injury pain hypersensitivity. Nature. 1983;303:686–688.
13. , . Preemptive analgesia – treating postoperative pain by preventing the establishment of central sensitization. Anesth Analg. 1993;77:362–379.
14. , , , . Contribution of central neuroplasticity to pathological pain: review of clinical and experimental evidence. Pain. 1993;52:259–285.
15. , . Neuronal plasticity: increasing the gain in pain. Science. 2000;288:1765–1768.
16. . The kinetic theory of shock and its prevention through anoci association (shockless operation). Lancet. 1913;185:7–16.
17. . The prevention of postoperative pain. Pain. 1988;33:289–290.
18. , : Subcutaneous formalin-induced activity of dorsal horn neurons in the rat: differential response to an intrathecal opiate administered pre or post formalin. Pain. 1987;30:349–360.
19. , , . Central nervous system plasticity in the tonic pain response to subcutaneous formalin injection. Brain Res. 1990;535:155–158.
20. . Preemptive analgesia. Why its effect is not always obvious. Anesthesiology. 1996;84:1015–1019.
21. . Pre-emptive analgesia: evidence, current status and future directions. Eur J Anesthesiol. 1995;12:8–13.
22. , , . A qualitative and quantitative systematic review of preemptive analgesia for postoperative pain relief-the role of timing of analgesia. Anesthesiology. 2002;96:725–741.
23. , , , . The efficacy of preemptive analgesia for acute postoperative pain management: a meta-analysis. Anesth Analg. 2005;100:757–773.
24. . Preemptive analgesia: terminology and clinical relevance. Anesth Analg. 1994;79:809–810. [letter]
25. , . Current status of preemptive analgesia. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2002;15:435–441.
26. , . Preventative analgesia is associated with reduced pain disability 3 weeks but not 6 months after major gynecologic surgery by laparotomy. Anesthesiology. 2004;101:169–174.
27. . Preventing the development of complex regional pain syndrome after surgery. Anesthesiology. 2004;101:1215–1224.
28. , , . The economic impact of opioids on postoperative pain management. J Clin Anesth. 2002;14:354–364.
29. , , , . Adverse events associated with postoperative analgesia: a systematic review. Clin J Pain. 2002;3:159–180.
30. . JCAHO pain management standards are unveiled. JAMA. 2000;284:4–5.
31. . Postoperative opioid sparing to hasten recovery. What are the issues? Anesthesiology. 2005;102:1083–1085.
32. , , . Has the pendulum swung too far in postoperative pain control? Am J Surg. 2003;186:472–475.
33. , , . The efficacy and safety of pain management before and after implementation of hospital-wide pain management standards: Is patient safety compromised by treatment based solely on numerical pain ratings? Anesth Analg. 2005;101:474–480.
34. , . The value of “multimodal” or “balanced analgesia” in postoperative pain treatment. Anesth Analg. 1993;77:1048–1056.
35. , , , , . Prevention of postoperative pain by balanced analgesia. Br J Anaesth. 1990;64:518–520.
36. , . Multimodal strategies to improve surgical outcome. Am J Surg. 2002;183:630–641.
37. , , . Effects of perioperative administration of a selective cyclooxygenase 2 inhibitor of pain management and recovery of function after knee replacement. JAMA. 2003;290:2411–2418.
38. , , , . Effect of initiating a multimodal analgesic regimen upon patient outcomes after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction for same-day surgery: a 1200-patient case series. Acute Pain. 2004;6:87–93.
39. , , , , . Effect of initiating a preventative multimodal analgesic regimen upon long-term patient outcomes after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction for same-day surgery: A 1200-patient case series. Acute Pain. 2005;7:65–73.
40. , , . Practice guidelines for acute pain management in the perioperative setting: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists task force on acute pain management. Anesthesiology. 2004;100:1573–1581.
41. . Acute Pain Management: Operative or Medical Procedures and Trauma. Pub. no. 92-0032. Rockville, MD:, United States Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, 1992.
42. , , . Distribution of alpha 2 agonist binding sites in the rat and human central nervous system: Analysis of some functional, anatomic correlates of the pharmacologic effects of clonidine and related adrenergic agents. Brain Res Rev. 1984;7:69–101.
43. , , . Clonidine enhances the effects of lidocaine on C-fiber action potential. Anesth Analg. 1992;74:719–725.
44. , . The α2-adrenergic agonists clonidine and guanfacine produce tonic and phasic block of conduction in rat sciatic nerve fibers. Anesth Analg. 1993;76:295–301.
45. , , . Hyperpolarizing after potentials in C fibers and and local anesthetic effects of clonidine and lidocaine. Pharmacology. 1994;48:21–29.
46. , , . Pharmacologic and therapeutic significance of alpha-adrenoceptor subtypes. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 1985;7:1–8.
47. , , , , , . Comparison between clonidine and epinephrine admixture to lidocaine in brachial plexus block. Anesth Analg. 1992;75:69–74.
48. , , , , , . Clonidine prolongation of lidocaine analgesia after sciatic nerve block in rats is mediated via the hyperpolarization-activated cation current (Ih) not by alpha2-adrenoreceptors. Anesthesiology. 2004;101:488–494.
49. , . Peripheral analgesic action of clonidine: mediation by release of endogenous enkephaln-like substances. Eur J Pharmacol. 1988;146:223–228.
50. . Stellate ganglion blockade for acute postoperative upper extremity pain. Anesthesiology. 2005;102:288–289.
51. , , . α-2 adrenergic agonists for regional anesthesia. A clinical review of clonidine (1984–1995). Anesthesiology. 1996;85:655–674.
52. , . Alpha2 receptors and agonists in pain management. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2001;14:513–518.
53. , , , . Postoperative analgesia by intravenous clonidine. Anesthesiology. 1991;75:577–582.
54. , , , . The efficacy of dexmedetomidine versus morphine for postoperative analgesia after major inpatient surgery. Anesth Analg. 2004;98:153–158.
55. , , . Intrathecal clonidine added to a bupivacaine-morphine spinal anesthetic improves postoperative analgesia for total knee arthroplasty. Anesth Analg. 2003;96:1083–1088.
56. , . Small dose of clonidine mixed with low-dose ropivacaine and fentanyl for epidural analgesia after total knee arthroplasty. Br J Anaesth. 2004;93:670–677.
57. , , , , . The efficacy and safety of epidural infusions of levobupivacaine with and without clonidine for postoperative pain relief in patients undergoing total hip replacement. Anesth Analg. 2000;91:393–397.
58. , , , , , . Improved analgesia with clonidine when added to local anesthetic during combined spinal-epidural anesthesia for hip arthroplasty: a double-blind, randomized and placebo-controlled study. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2005;49:538–545.
59. , , , . Intravenous regional anesthesia using lidocaine and clonidine. Anesthesiology. 1999;91:654–658.
60. , , , , . Effect of clonidine on upper extremity tourniquet pain in healthy volunteers. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2000;25:502–505.
61. , . Postoperative analgesia for outpatient arthroscopic knee surgery with intraarticular clonidine. Anesth Analg. 1999;88:729–733.
62. , , , , . Postoperative analgesia for outpatient arthroscopic knee surgery with intraarticular clonidine and/or morphine. Anesth Analg. 2000;90:1102–1116.
63. . Acute pain and the injury response: immediate and prolonged effects. Reg Anesth. 1989;14:162–179.
64. . Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and spinal nociceptive processing. Pain. 1994;59:9–43.
65. , , . Controversies in the perioperative use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Anesth Analg. 1994;79:1178–1190.
66. , . Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: rationale for use in severe postoperative pain. Br J Anaesth. 1991;66:703–712.
67. , , , , . Dose-response of ketorolac as an adjunct to patient-controlled analgesia morphine in patients after spinal fusion surgery. Anesth Analg. 1998;87:98–102.
68. , , , . Acetaminophen inhibits spinal prostaglandin E2 release after peripheral noxious stimulation. Anesthesiology. 1999;91:231–239.
69. , , . COX-3, a cyclooxygenase-1 variant inhibited by acetaminophen and other analgesic/antipyretic drugs: cloning, structure, and expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2002;99:13926–13931.
70. , , . Update on cyclooxygenase inhibitors: has a third COX isoform entered the fray? Curr Med Res Opin. 2005;21(8):1217–1226.
71. , , , , , . Analgesic effect of acetaminophen in humans: first evidence of a central serotonergic mechanism. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2006;79:371–378.
72. , , . Effects of acetaminophen on morphine side-effects and consumption after major surgery: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Br J Anaesth. 2005;94:505–513.
73. , , , . Comparative effect of paracetamol, NSAIDs, or their combination in postoperative pain management: a qualitative review. Br J Anaesth. 2002;88:199–214.
74. . Role of COX-2 inhibitors in the evolution of acute pain management. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2002;24:S18–S27.
75. , , . Early bioavailability of paracetamol after oral or intravenous administration. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2004;48:867–870.
76. , , . Does multimodal analgesia with acetaminophen, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors and patient-controlled analgesia morphine offer advantages over morphine alone? Anesthesiology. 2005;1296–1304.
77. , . A review of COX-2 inhibitors compared with traditional NSAIDs, or different COX-2 inhibitors for postoperative pain. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2004;48:525–546.
78. . Pre-emptive analgesia: importance of timing. Can J Anaesth. 2001;48:105–114.
79. , , . The preemptive analgesic effect of rofecoxib after ambulatory arthroscopic knee surgery. Anesth Analg. 2002;94:55–59.
80. . Cellular signaling pathways of spinal pain neuroplasticity as targets for analgesic development. Curr Top Med Chem. 2005;5:557–567.
81. , . The induction and maintenance of central sensitization is dependent on N-methyl-D-aspartate acid receptor activation: implication for the treatment of post-injury pain hypersensitivity states. Pain. 1991;44:293–299.
82. , . Neurobiology. Taking apart NMDA receptors. Nature. 1987;329:395–396.
83. , , . Use and efficacy of low-dose ketamine in the management of acute postoperative pain: a review of current techniques and outcomes. Pain. 1999;82:111–125.
84. , , . Ketamine as adjuvant analgesic to opioids: a quantitative and qualitative systematic review. Anesth Analg. 2004;99:482–495.
85. , , , , . Ketamine enhances local anesthetic and analgesic effects of bupivacaine by peripheral mechanism: a study in postoperative patients. Neurosci Lett. 1996;215:5–8.
86. , , , , , . The benefits of intraoperative small-dose ketamine on postoperative pain after anterior cruciate ligament repair. Anesth Analg. 2000;90:129–135.
87. , , , , , . Intraoperative small-dose ketamine enhances analgesia after outpatient knee arthroscopy. Anesth Analg. 2001;93:606–612.
88. , , , , . Small-dose S(+) ketamine reduces postoperative pain when applied with ropivacaine in epidural anesthesia for total knee arthroplasty. Anesth Analg. 2001;92:1290–1295.
89. , , , , , . Small-dose ketamine infusion improves postoperative analgesia and rehabilitation after total knee arthroplasty. Anesth Analg. 2005;100:475–480.
90. , , , . Dextrorphan and dextromethorphan, common antitussives, are antieleptic and antagonize N-methyl-D-aspartate in brain slices. Neurosci Lett. 1988;85:261–266.
91. , , . Differential binding properties of [3H] dextrorphan and [3H] MK-801 in heterologously expressed NMDA receptors. Neuropharmacology. 2005;49:1–16.
92. , , , . A qualitative systematic review of peri-operative dextromethorphan in post-operative pain. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2006;50:1–13.
93. , , . Excitatory amino acid neurotoxicity at the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor in cultured neurons: role of the voltage-dependent magnesium block. Brain Res. 1989;499:267–272.
94. , , , . Role of magnesium sulfate in postoperative analgesia. Anesthesiology. 1996;84:340–347.
95. , , . Magnesium sulfate reduces intra- and postoperative analgesic requirements. Anesth Analg. 1998;87:206–210.
96. , , , . Magnesium infusion reduces postoperative pain. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2002;19:52–56.
97. , , . Effect of intra-operative magnesium sulfate on pain relief and patient comfort after major lumbar orthopaedic surgery. Anaesthesia. 2003;58:131–135.
98. , , , . Effect of intraoperative magnesium infusion on perioperative analgesia in open cholecystectomy. J Clin Anesth. 2004;16:262–265.
99. , , . Effects of three different dose regimens of magnesium on propofol requirements, haemodynamic variables and postoperative pain relief in gynaecological surgery. Br J Anaesth. 2006;96.
100. , , . Perioperative magnesium infusion and postoperative pain. Acta Anesthesiol Scand. 1997;41:1023–1027.
101. , , . Magnesium sulfate does not reduce postoperative analgesic requirements. Anesthesiology. 2001;95:640–646.
102. , , . Does magnesium sulfate reduce the short- and long-term requirements for pain relief after caesarean delivery? A double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006;194:1596–1602.
103. , , . Analysis of the brain bioavailability of peripherally administered magnesium sulfate: a study in humans with acute brain injury undergoing prolonged induced hypermagnesemia. Crit Care Med. 2005;33:661–666.
104. , , . A qualitative systematic review of the role of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonists in preventive analgesia. Anesth Analg. 2004;98:1385–1400.
105. , . Disposable infusion pumps. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2006;63:1260–1268.
106. , , , . Anesthesia and postoperative analgesia: outcomes following orthopedic surgery. Orthopedics. 2003;26:S865–S871.
107. , . Local anesthetic myotoxicity. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2004;29:333–340.
108. , . Central nervous system toxicity in a patient receiving continuous intrapleural bupivacaine. J Clin Anesth. 1996;8:666–668.
109. , . Local anaesthetic infusion for postoperative pain. J Hand Surg. 2003;28:300–306.
110. , , , , . Chondrolysis after continuous intra-articular bupivacaine infusion: an experimental model investigating chondrotoxicity in the rabbit shoulder. Arthroscopy. 2006;22:813–819.
111. , , , , , . Effects of perioperative analgesic technique on the surgical outcome and duration of rehabilitation after major knee surgery. Anesthesiology. 1999;91:8–15.
112. , , . Early but no long-term benefit of regional compared with general anesthesia for ambulatory hand surgery. Anesthesiology. 2004;101:461–467.
113. , , . Does continuous peripheral nerve block provide superior pain control to opioids? A meta-analysis. Anesth Analg. 2006;102:248–257.
114. , , . Acute post-surgical pain management: a critical appraisal of current practice. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2006;31:1–42.
115. , , , . Postoperative pain management in orthopedic patients: no differences in pain score, but improved stress control by epidural anaesthesia. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2002;19:658–665.
116. , , , , , . Efficacy of postoperative epidural analgesia: a meta-analysis. JAMA. 2003;290:2455–2463.
117. . When it comes to outcome, we need to define what a perioperative epidural technique is. Anesth Analg. 2003;96:315–318.
118. , , . Postoperative modulation of central nervous system prostaglandins E2 by cyclooxygenase inhibitors after vascular surgery. Anesthesiology. 2006;104:411–416.
119. , , . Cyclooyxgenase-2 (COX-2) inhibitor potentiates morphine antinociception at the spinal level in a post-operative pain model. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2002;27:451–455.
120. , , . Triptolide inhibits COX-2 expression via NF-kappa B pathway in astrocytes. Neuroscience. 2006;55:154–160.
121. , , . Prostanoids and pain: unraveling mechanisms and revealing therapeutic targets. Trends Mol Med. 2002;8:390–396.
122. , , . Up-regulation of prostaglandin E2 and interleukins in the central nervous system and peripheral tissue during and after surgery in humans. Anesthesiology. 2006;104:403–410.
123. , , . Efficacy and safety of patient-controlled opioid analgesia for acute postoperative pain: a quantitative systematic review. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2001;45:795–804.
124. , , , , . Intraoperative high dose fentanyl induces postoperative fentanyl tolerance. Can J Anaesth. 1999;48:872–877.
125. , , . Acute opioid tolerance: intraoperative remifentanil increases postoperative pain and morphine requirement. Anesthesiology. 2000;93:409–417.
126. , , , , . Acute tolerance associated with a single opiate administration: involvement of N-methyl-D-aspartate-dependent pain facilatory systems. Neuroscience. 1998;84:583–589.
127. . Opioid-induced abnormal pain sensitivity: implications in clinical opioid therapy. Pain. 2002;100:213–217.
128. , . Opioid-induced hyperalgesia: a qualitative systematic review. Anesthesiology. 2006;104:570–587.
129. , , . Comparative effects of cyclo-oxygenase and nitrous oxide synthase inhibition on the development and reversal of spinal opioid tolerance. Br J Pharmacol. 1999;127:631–634.
130. , , . Modulation of remifentanil-induced analgesia and postinfusion hyperalgesia by parecoxib in humans. Anesthesiology. 2006;105:1016–1023.
131. . Peripheral mechanisms of opioid analgesia. Anesth Analg. 1993;76:182–191.
132. , , . Analgesic efficacy of peripheral opioids (all except intra-articular): a qualitative systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Pain. 1997;72:309–318.
133. , , , . No pain, no gain: clinical excellence and scientific rigour-lessons learned from IA morphine. Pain. 2002;98:269–275.
134. , . Postoperative pain management for outpatient arthroscopic knee surgery. Current Concepts Review. J Bone Joint Surg. 2000;82:1754–1766.
135. , , , . Peripheral and preemptive opioid antinociception in a mouse visceral pain model. Pain. 2001;89:221–227.
136. , , , , . Pre- and postoperative intra-articular analgesia for arthroscopic surgery of the knee and arthroscopic-assisted anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. A double-blind randomized prospective study. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 1997;5:206–212.
137. , , . The preemptive analgesic effect of intraarticular bupivacaine and morphine after ambulatory arthroscopic knee surgery. Anesth Analg. 2001;92:923–926.
138. , , , , . Molecular cloning and characterization of the human voltage-gated calcium channel α2δ-4 subunit. Mol Pharmacol. 2002;62:485–496.
139. . Is gabapentin a “broad-spectrum” analgesic? Anesthesiology. 2002; 97:537–539.
140. , , , , , . Gabapentin enhances the analgesic effect of morphine in healthy volunteers. Anesth Analg. 2000;91:185–191.
141. , , , , . Gabapentin and pregabalin can interact synergistically with naproxen to produce antihyperalgesia. Anesthesiology. 2002;97:1263–1273.
142. , , , , , . A placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial of perioperative administration of gabapentin, rofecoxib and their combination for spontaneous and movement-evoked pain after abdominal hysterectomy. Pain. 2005;113:191–200.
143. , , . “Protective premedication”: an option with gabapentin and related drugs? A review of gabapentin and pregabalin in the treatment of post-operative pain. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2004;48:1130–1136.
144. , , , , . The analgesic effects of perioperative gabapentin on postoperative pain: a meta-analysis. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2006;31:237–247.
145. , . Gabapentin and postoperative pain – a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Pain. 2006;126:91–101.
146. , , , . Evaluation of the analgesic efficacy of administering celecoxib, pregabalin and their combination for spinal fusion surgery. Anesth Analg. 2006;103:1271–1277.
147. , , , , . Preoperative gabapentin decreases anxiety and improves early functional recovery from knee surgery. Anesth Analg. 2005;100:1394–1399.
148. , , . Balanced analgesia: what is it and what are its advantages in postoperative pain? Drugs. 1999;58:793–797.
149. , . Multimodal analgesia for postoperative pain control. J Clin Anesth. 2001;13:524–539.
150. . Multimodal analgesia techniques and postoperative rehabilitation. Anesthesiol Clin North Am. 2005;23:185–202.
151. , , , , . Reliability and validity of the preoperative opioid-related symptom distress scale. Anesth Analg. 2004;99:699–709.
152. , , , , , . Dose-response relationship between opioid use and adverse events after ambulatory surgery. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2004;28:35–46.
153. , , , , , . Presurgical intravenous parecoxib sodium and follow-up oral valdecoxib for pain management after laparoscopic cholecystectomy surgery reduces opioid requirements and opioid-related adverse effects. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2004;48:1194–1207.
154. , , . Dose-response relationship between opioid use and adverse events after spinal fusion surgery. Anesthesiology. 2006;105:A1646. [Abstract]
155. , . Management of patients in fast track surgery. BMJ. 2001;322:473–476.