1. , , , eds. To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2000.
2. , , , , , . Effect of postoperative epidural analgesia on morbidity and mortality following surgery in Medicare patients. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2004;29:525–533.
3. , . Outcomes research in regional anesthesia and analgesia. Anesth Analg. 2000;91:1232–242.
4. , , , . Reduction of postoperative mortality and morbidity with epidural or spinal anaesthesia: results from overview of randomised trials. BMJ. 2000;321:1493.
5. , , . Epidural analgesia reduces postoperative myocardial infarction: a meta-analysis. Anesth Analg. 2001;93:853–858.
6. , , . Epidural pain relief versus systemic opioid based pain relief for abdominal aortic surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;3:CD005059.
7. , , . Effects of perioperative central neuraxial analgesia on outcome after coronary artery bypass surgery: a meta-analysis. Anesthesiology 2004;101:153–161.
8. , . Patient controlled intravenous opioid analgesia versus continuous epidural analgesia for pain after intra-abdominal surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005:CD004088.
9. , , , . Epidural analgesia for pain relief following hip or knee replacement. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003:CD003071.
10. , , . Effect of epidural anesthesia and analgesia on perioperative outcome: a randomized, controlled Veterans Affairs cooperative study. Ann Surg. 2001;234:560–569.
11. , , . Epidural anaesthesia and analgesia and outcome of major surgery: a randomised trial. Lancet. 2002;359:1276–1282.
12. , , , , . Effect of postoperative epidural analgesia on morbidity and mortality after total hip replacement surgery in Medicare patients. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2003;28:271–278.
13. , , , , , . Perioperative cardiac events in patients undergoing noncardiac surgery: a review of the magnitude of the problem, the pathophysiology of the events and methods to estimate and communicate risk. Can Med Assoc J. 2005;173:627–634.
14. . Assessment of the patient with cardiac disease: an anesthesiologist's paradigm. Anesthesiology. 1999;91:1521–1526.
15. , , . Preoperative cardiac events in elderly patients with hip fracture randomized to epidural or conventional analgesia. Anesthesiology. 2003;98:156–163.
16. , , . Perioperative myocardial ischemic injury in high-risk vascular surgery patients: incidence and clinical significance in a prospective clinical trial. J Vasc Surg. 2006;43:533–538.
17. , , . Thoracic epidural anesthesia and the patient with heart disease: benefits, risks, and controversies. Anesth Analg. 1997;85:517–528.
18. , , . Approaches to the prevention of perioperative myocardial ischemia. Anesthesiology. 2000;92:253–259.
19. , , . Epidural anesthesia and analgesia. Their role in postoperative outcome. Anesthesiology. 1995;82:1474–1506.
20. , , . Effects of high thoracic epidural analgesia on myocardial blood flow in patients with ischemic heart disease. Circulation. 2005;111:2165–2170.
21. , , . Epidural anesthesia enhances sympathetic nerve activity in the unanesthetized segments in cats. Anesth Analg. 1997;84:391–397.
22. , , , , , . Perioperative epidural analgesia and outcome after major abdominal surgery in high-risk patients. Anesth Analg. 2003;96:548–554.
23. , , . Risk assessment for and strategies to reduce perioperative pulmonary complications for patients undergoing noncardiothoracic surgery: a guideline from the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med. 2006;144:575–580.
24. . Preventing postoperative pulmonary complications: the role of the anesthesiologist. Anesthesiology. 2000;92:1467–1472.
25. , , . Efficacy of postoperative patient-controlled and continuous infusion epidural analgesia versus intravenous patient-controlled analgesia with opioids: a meta-analysis. Anesthesiology. 2005;103:1079–1088.
26. , , . The effects of thoracic epidural analgesia with bupivacaine 0.25% on ventilatory mechanics in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Anesth Analg. 2001;92:1015–1019.
27. , , , , . Lung function under high thoracic segmental epidural anesthesia with ropivacaine or bupivacaine in patients with severe obstructive pulmonary disease undergoing breast surgery. Anesthesiology. 2002;96:536–541.
28. , , . The comparative effects of postoperative analgesic therapies on pulmonary outcome: cumulative meta-analyses of randomized, controlled trials. Anesth Analg. 1998;86:598–612.
29. . Postoperative gastrointestinal tract dysfunction. Anesth Analg. 2005;100:196–204.
30. , . Mechanisms of postoperative ileus. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2004;16(uppl 2):54–60.
31. , , . Persistent postsurgical pain: risk factors and prevention. Lancet. 2006;367(9522):1618–1625.
32. , , , . Epidural local anaesthetics versus opioid-based analgesic regimens on postoperative gastrointestinal paralysis, PONV and pain after abdominal surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000:CD001893.
33. , . Updates in perioperative coagulation: physiology and management of thromboembolism and haemorrhage. Br J Anaesth. 2004;93:275–287.
34. , , . The role of epidural anesthesia and analgesia in surgical practice. Ann Surg. 2003;238:663–673.
35. , , , . Epidural analgesia and arterial reconstructive surgery to the leg: effects on fibrinolysis and platelet degranulation. Br J Anaesth. 2001;86:230–235.
36. , , . Perioperative morbidity in patients randomized to epidural or general anesthesia for lower extremity vascular surgery. Perioperative Ischemia Randomized Anesthesia Trial Study Group. Anesthesiology. 1993;79:422–434.
37. , , , , , . Effects of epidural anesthesia and analgesia on coagulation and outcome after major vascular surgery. Anesth Analg. 1991;73:696–704.
38. , . Chronic pain as an outcome of surgery. A review of predictive factors. Anesthesiology. 2000;93:1123–1133.
39. . Chronic pain after surgery. Br J Anaesth. 2001;87:88–98.
40. , , . Intraoperative epidural analgesia combined with ketamine provides effective preventive analgesia in patients undergoing major digestive surgery. Anesthesiology. 2005;103:813–820.
41. , , . The role of postoperative analgesia in delirium and cognitive decline in elderly patients: a systematic review. Anesth Analg. 2006;102:1255–1266.
42. , , , , . Postoperative delirium: the importance of pain and pain management. Anesth Analg. 2006;102:1267–1273.
43. , , , , . Inflammatory response after abdominal surgery. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2004;18:439–454.
44. , , , . Postoperative wound oxygen tension with epidural or intravenous analgesia: a prospective, randomized, single-blind clinical trial. Anesthesiology. 2002;97:952–958.
45. , , . The effects of postoperative pain management on immune response to surgery. Anesth Analg. 2003;97:822–827.
46. , , . The effects of continuous epidural anesthesia and analgesia on stress response and immune function in patients undergoing radical esophagectomy. Anesth Analg. 2005;101:1521–1527.
47. , , , , . Can anesthetic technique for primary breast cancer surgery affect recurrence or metastasis? Anesthesiology. 2006;105:660–664.
48. , , , , , . Efficacy of postoperative epidural analgesia: a meta-analysis. JAMA. 2003;290:2455–2463.
49. , , . Efficacy of postoperative patient-controlled and continuous infusion epidural analgesia versus intravenous patient-controlled analgesia with opioids: a meta-analysis. Anesthesiology. 2005;103:1079–1088.
50. , , . Does continuous peripheral nerve block provide superior pain control to opioids? A meta-analysis. Anesth Analg. 2006;102:248–257.
51. , , , , , . The effect of postoperative analgesia on quality-of-life measurements. Anesth Analg. 2003;97:1078–1085.
52. , , , , . Prospective randomized trial of high thoracic epidural analgesia for coronary artery bypass surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2003;75:93–100.
53. , , , . Postoperative fatigue negatively impacts the daily lives of patients recovering from hysterectomy. Obstet Gynecol. 2002;99:51–57.
54. , , , , , . Randomized clinical trial of multimodal optimization and standard perioperative surgical care. Br J Surg. 2003;90:1497–504.
55. , , , , . Postoperative sleep disturbance: influences of opioids and pain in humans. Sleep. 2001;24:39–44.
56. , . Effect of postoperative analgesia on major postoperative complications: a systematic update of the evidence. Anesth Analg. 2007;104:689–702.
57. , , , , , . Epidural analgesia enhances functional exercise capacity and health-related quality of life after colonic surgery: results of a randomized trial. Anesthesiology. 2002;97:540–549.
58. , , . Development and pyschometric testing of a quality of life recovery score after general anesthesia and surgery in adults. Anesth Analg. 1999;88:83–90.
59. , , . Quality of recovery from anesthesia in neurosurgical patients. Anesthesiology. 2003;99:1158–1165.
60. , , , , , . Postoperative pain management in elderly patients: correlation between adherence to treatment guidelines and patient satisfaction. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005;53:274–282.
61. , , , , . Patient satisfaction after anaesthesia and surgery: results of a prospective survey of 10811 patients. Br J Anaesth. 2000;84:6–10.
62. , , . Assessment of postoperative pain management: patient satisfaction and perceived helpfulness. Clin J Pain. 1997;13:229–236.
63. , . Anaesthesia, surgery, and challenges in postoperative recovery. Lancet. 2003;362:1921–1928.